Vista Hibernate and Sleep mode keeps recycling RRS feed

• Question

• Hardware:

New HP Pavilion Elite m9040, Intel Q6600, 3GM Ram, Vista Home Pro SP1.

Issue:

The OS properly goes to sleep or hibernates after the set amount of idle time.  Once in sleep or hibernate mode it suddenly wakes itself up - usually within 10 seconds.  There are no issues with hanging or freezing.

It keeps going in a cycle of sleeping - waking up - sleeping - waking up....... until interrupted.

HP customer service states that this is a known issue within MS Vista (all version and SP1) and does not provide a solution.

Comment: 

I need the sleep & hibernate mode to work.  At idle this desktop consumes 420VA (350W).  That comes down to about 17.70 $ per month.  Assuming the KWh costs 0.07$/KWh.  That’s $212 per year WASTED!!

I’m not a tree huger, but don’t like to waste money!!

HELP  -  HELP  -  HELP  -  HELP  -  HELP  -  HELP

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:20 PM

Answers

•  

I also experience a similar issue, where sleep mode causes a restart of the computer going into a Windows Recovery Error screen on boot up and hibernation mode resumes the sessions immediately. Dell's solution is to disable sleep and hibernate. Isn't that terribly helpful. Furthermore, I've been informed that they have notified Windows regarding the matter due to the high number of calls they have been receiving about it. I am not impressed with such a glaring problem with Vista. Good job with the useless service pack.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 2:35 AM
  • My laptop does that when i have a usb laser mouse plugged in. It will not allow it to go to sleep sometimes too.

When I unplug the mouse, it works like it is supposed to.

if that's not it...

Maybe try getting a program that records keystrokes and exe's usage. It may be a program activating, like how a screensaver works, causing some type of action that it sees as user controlled.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:55 AM

All replies

•  

I also experience a similar issue, where sleep mode causes a restart of the computer going into a Windows Recovery Error screen on boot up and hibernation mode resumes the sessions immediately. Dell's solution is to disable sleep and hibernate. Isn't that terribly helpful. Furthermore, I've been informed that they have notified Windows regarding the matter due to the high number of calls they have been receiving about it. I am not impressed with such a glaring problem with Vista. Good job with the useless service pack.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 2:35 AM
  • My laptop does that when i have a usb laser mouse plugged in. It will not allow it to go to sleep sometimes too.

When I unplug the mouse, it works like it is supposed to.

if that's not it...

Maybe try getting a program that records keystrokes and exe's usage. It may be a program activating, like how a screensaver works, causing some type of action that it sees as user controlled.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:55 AM
  • I'm getting this same issue with my xps 1530. The odd thing is that it only started recently - within the last month or so. I experimented a bit and found that when I shutdown windows sidebar and prevented it from starting up when windows starts, it seemed to solve the issue and my laptop hibernated properly.

Now I don't think it's Windows sidebar itself, but one of the gadgets installed there. I'm currently going through the gadgets one by one to try and discover which one is causing the issue.

Mike

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:21 PM
  • wow...i recieved my dell xps m1530 on june 16th, and it started doing it on the 19th....

so..i was thinking that it was a motherboard issue...so i sent it in...i'm getting it back in a few hours...so we'll see if they fixed it...

so you think windows sidebar is causing it?...
    which gadgets are u using?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:00 AM
  • OK I finally found the solution to this problem.  This worked for my case and yours might be different.  No magic.

I checked the power settings for all my hardware components by opening up the device manager and clicking the power management tab.  I ensured that the settings don’t allow the device to pull vista out of sleep or hibernation mode.  And enabled the option "Allow the system to turn off this device to save power".

This solved the problem.

Conclusion.  The OS is supposed to undertake this step on its own when you set the general hibernation / sleeping settings.  But in my case for some reason I had to do it manually. 

Good luck, I hope it works for all of you!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:56 PM
  • I've been creating new swear words over this same issue. ThinkPad Z60m, Vista Ultimate SP1 fully patched all drivers up to date.
    Try to hibernate and it crashes, restarts and reports an unexpected closing.. Worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Got it working again yesterday, then today - poof.
    I suspected the network connection had something to do with it, but it worked fine while hooked up this morning.
    I had turned the Sidebar off. Then added two new gadgets today. One is the weather, the other pulls stuff from Outlook 2007. My previous gadgets pulled headlines from Google News' RSS feed, the default clock, and the picture window rotating stuff from my screensaver folder.
    After adding the Outlook Gadget, I noticed an odd behavior. I was getting the little new mail icon in the tray, even though I had exited Outlook. When I double-clicked the envelope, Outlook popped open like it was running in the background.
    While this would be great on a desktop application, on a laptop it is problematic. I suspect the RSS and Outlook Gadgets are not  releasing their  connection during the transition to Sleep or Hibernation. Keeping a foot in the door, so to speak.
    You might think that Vista would be smart enough to cutoff the network from app's that want to stay up late, when it is time for bed.
    OBTW - I went through the enitre Device Manager looking for items that would wake from Hibernation, and found none. I also went into Scheduler and reset any automatic updates to a time when I am awake. I had the Wake-Up from Hibernation happen a couple of times at 1 AM. It was just WMC getting the TV listings, but it wouldn't go back to sleep.

This "Focus on Connectivity" needs a little more work.

QAL
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I was having exactly the same issure as "regretting vista". It was a google gadget causing my problem. Shut down google desktop and it hibernated just fine.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  

The issue appears to be not just the hardware awake commands.  I have three systems running Vista, a Dell Inspiron running Home Premium, a HP Pavilion laptop that was upgraded from Home Premium to Ultimate and a self build running Ultimate.  The Dell and HP have Hibernate running without issues.  Both have the keyboard and mouse enabled to wake the systems.  The self build will not Hibernate. It appears to be hibernating then immediately powers up when finished shutting down.  If I push the power button during the BIOS power up it will shut off and when I power back up it comes up from Hibernate state.  Clearing the wake the system check box does allow it to hibernate but it appears to be a work around that Hibernate settings should adjust.   Being able to wake the system is still needed when using sleep mode.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Yes, I found out that google calendar sync with hibernate causes data file issues with Outlook.
    If you want to use calendar sync dont use hibernate and vice versa.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Disregard the previous post. Google Calendar sync does not have a problem with hibernate.
    Even with google calendar sync un-installed. Microsoft outlook still has data file problems each hibernate.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:59 PM
  • My Aunt has contacted me as her PC is doing the same, so bad she has to disconnect it from the power to stop it's constant cycle. She has a repair CD but cannot use it because the PC it's stuck in this cycle. I did advise press F8 to take it into Safe Mode but this had no effect.

Any suggestions please?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:58 PM
  • I am having the same problem as Q. Lee. Ever since last summer some time, after a Windows update,my computer crashes after coming out of hibernation. Has anyone found a cure to this problem? Sleep works fine.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:17 AM