Incremental Variable for Groups of SharePoint List Items RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues visualizing and implementing an incremental variable for groups of list items as they are added to a custom SharePoint 2010 list (although the workflow should look the same as in 2007 - I would assume).

Essentially, I want to give users the ability to add "n" number of items as part of a "batch" of list items. A consistent, visible "batch number" will be added to each list item they add until they select a "process batch" button, which will ultimately run a workflow and hopefully change the batch number to "[BatchNumber]+1".

I know this requires using a workflow in a variable, but I am having trouble conceptualizing and implementing such a workflow solution where the batch number remains consistent until the user is ready to "process" the "batch" (all of the list items they have added).

Can anyone assist in detailing how this workflow would look and how I would go about creating it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I hope that I have no misunderstanding.

Assume that list A created with a [BatchNumber] and [Process] field.

When user add new list item, workflow will start copy the largest Batch Number.

If User click "process batch" button, then the list item with largest Batch Number will change the [Process] field to true.

After this, Workflow will then create a "n+1" Batch Number when there are not existing "non-Process" list item on list.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:37 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:13 AM