none
ERROR: Unable to start debugging. The startup project could not be launched. Verify debug settings for the startup project.

Question

• I have Visual Studio 2015 Community and have tried to debug a Solution. I continue to receive this error message, 

"Unable to start debugging. The startup project could not be launched. Verify debug settings for the startup project." Upon opening VS, I received a message that stated something about a one way upgrade and the Migration Report stated the following, "Visual Studio needs to make non-functional changes to this project in order to enable the project to open in Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without impacting project behavior." 

I have tried many different suggestions I found researching this issue, but none of them seem to work. 

Is there anyway to work around and solve this issue so I can use this version of VS?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi rpconsulting,

Which kind of project did you open in your side? Do you open it in other VS2015 machine? At least, we could know that whether it is related to this project or the VS IDE.

Not debug your app, just run your app using "start without debugging", how about the result? Do you get any output messages from the Error list or the Output window?

>>"Unable to start debugging. The startup project could not be launched. Verify debug settings for the startup project."

I met this kind of error before which was related to the VS settings or the configuration for this project or others.

For example:

(1) Reset your VS settings, restart your VS, re-open this project, clean and rebuild the whole solution, debug it again.

(2) Please restart your VS, and re-run it as the admin.

(3) Open the configuration manager, make sure that all projects use the correct platform.

(4) Re-set the start up project in your solution explorer window.

(5) Run VS in safe mode (devenv /safemode).

(6) Please also install the latest update 3 for your VS IDE.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:13 AM