none
Advice about the proposed architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have to design an Gaming web application which would cater to about 4 lakh concurrent users.

It would be created using flex, .net and sql server.

The website would be mainly on flex and the asp.net pages will only cater to home page, contact information,registration,login page etc(very small percentage of the overall application).

Flex performance is out of scope of total response time required for the application.I have only to ensure that the asp.net pages gets loaded within 5 seconds(reponse time).

Can somebody please let me know about what areas should i look into so that this much concurrency can be supported.

If any inputs are required from my end, please let me know.

As per my understanding, I am going to use a webfarm(don't know how many servers,still to calculate) for rendering flex.

Flex will interact with .net webservices(as per my understanding, flex don't have api level inetgration with .net,hence using webservices,correct me if i am wrong).

I would not be using session as if i use session, then i would have to implement some session replication mechanism between webservers in webfarm(I am not putting session in sql server as it would increase the response time).

I am planning to implement caching as well,however distributed caching shyncronisation migth be somewhat challenging

(Do NLB support session and caching replication between webservers?

Please let me know your comments about my approach and any inputs from your end are more than welcome.

Cheers

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:51 AM

All replies

• I believe you are heading on the right direction. 

TicArch wrote:

Flex will interact with .net webservices(as per my understanding, flex don't have api level inetgration with .net,hence using webservices,correct me if i am wrong).

There is currently no pure-play api support between flex and .NET.

TicArch wrote:

I would not be using session as if i use session, then i would have to implement some session replication mechanism between webservers in webfarm(I am not putting session in sql server as it would increase the response time).

I would do the same.  It is easeir to maintain the application stateless Vs creating a database session state.

But, you could also create "sticky session" and there by reduce application complexity by maintaining session. 

TicArch wrote:

I am planning to implement caching as well,however distributed caching shyncronisation migth be somewhat challenging

(Do NLB support session and caching replication between webservers?

Attaching an support article to handle session using NLB.  I would also look at NCache for distributed cache capability.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Could you provide a bit more information about what is going to be returned in these pages, i.e. the size. I'm a little confused as to if you're downloading asp.net pages or "just" using web services? Also can you clarify what you mean by response times, e.g. time for 1st byte or last byte?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks to both of you for responding to my query.

This is a gaming application. Website will have pages like view list of games,view games levels, home page, contact us page etc.All these will be in asp.net and no flash/flex.

When user click on a particular game, a flash page embedded in asp.net page will open.Flash will take out data from database using webservices,after this user will start working on flash page only with no interaction with database, only when we have to save the game score and exit, the data will be sent back to the database through webservice.

I am a new architect and what i know is that response time for any user to get back an output of page requested in 5 second.I don't know much about 1st byte or last byte, however if you think that i can ask this query to my client directly,please let me know and also tell me as what should be the exact query to be asked.Is it measurable by any tool?

I am going to use content delivery network, so distributed cache will probabale be taken care by this.

Will wait for your inputs.

Cheers

Sunday, July 6, 2008 10:12 AM
  • re: response times
    Consider a standard html page where the textual content is sent separately to the images. So is the response time the time for the a useful bit text to be rendered or for the full page? It is an important question to answer as technologies such as Ajax can have a big impact here.

Q. Concurrency
    How many users are you expecting concurrently?

Q. Location
    Where are your customers, are you using a global Content Delivery System

IMO 5 secs on a fairly small web farm with a decent database should be pretty easy. The sticky bit is the location of your users to the servers

Sunday, July 6, 2008 10:49 AM