none
Do I need all these .NET Framework versions installed on my PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have an older PC (6 years, Windows XP SP3) and it has the following .NET Framework versions installed on it:

• Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 2 SP2
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3 SP2
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

These acccount for over 350MB according to my Add/Remove Programs.  Do I really need all of them?  Am I able to safely remove any without impact to my machine to free up space?  Thanks.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:57 PM

Answers

• Which framework(s) you need is a function of the programs you use and which framework versions *they* need.

As a designer/developer, you can decide which framework version your application will target. As a user, you have no control over the framework versions needed by your programs.

Further, to find out which framework version is required by the programs you use, you will have to contact the publisher.

Removing frameworks from your computer may well render programs you use every day unable to run. Removing frameworks (unless you *know* there are no installed programs that need them) is not something I'd recommend.

FYI, you have only TWO frameworks on your computer. v1.1 is a full framework. 2.0/3.0/3.5 are all ONE framework. 2,0 is the base, full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. The nessage here is that you cannot remove 2.0 and still have 3.0 or 3.5.

To find ways to *safely* recover disc space on your XP system, I suggest you ask here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 PM

All replies

• Which framework(s) you need is a function of the programs you use and which framework versions *they* need.

As a designer/developer, you can decide which framework version your application will target. As a user, you have no control over the framework versions needed by your programs.

Further, to find out which framework version is required by the programs you use, you will have to contact the publisher.

Removing frameworks from your computer may well render programs you use every day unable to run. Removing frameworks (unless you *know* there are no installed programs that need them) is not something I'd recommend.

FYI, you have only TWO frameworks on your computer. v1.1 is a full framework. 2.0/3.0/3.5 are all ONE framework. 2,0 is the base, full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. The nessage here is that you cannot remove 2.0 and still have 3.0 or 3.5.

To find ways to *safely* recover disc space on your XP system, I suggest you ask here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Hi runner_28,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:02 AM
  • so you can delete 3.0 and 3.5 and be alright? i'm trying to download something and it says insufficent space and i look and the add/remove program list and i see all these frameworks. it's alright to delete the 3's though right?

Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hello, mr.ineedhelp.

As I said in my answer:

"Removing frameworks from your computer may well render programs you use every day unable to run. Removing frameworks (unless you *know* there are no installed programs that need them) is not something I'd recommend."

So, yes you CAN remove 3.0 and 3.5 (3.5 should be removed first, followed by 3.0), however, don't be surprised if several of your installed programs stop working after the removal.

BTW, I'm assuming you have Windows XP. If you have a newer Windows version, these .NET Framework versions may be part of the OS and NOT removable by the user.

• Proposed as answer by Becky58 Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Becky58 Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:41 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Thank you pvdg42, your answer was very helpful and I will leave all versions of .Net Framework on my computer. I was merely looking at all applications for older versions that I could delete since there are newer versions listed.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:51 PM