MDX, Sets, Ragged Hierarchies Question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to represent a ragged hierarchy on the rows of a PowerPivot, and I'm not succeeding to make it look "nice". 

I've a funny feeling that with "sets" and some smart use of MDX I can make the rows of my PowerPivot look nice.

Problem however ... I'm not a MDX guru.

By any chance, has anybody on this forum experience with representing ragged hierarchies in PowerPivot?

Any pointer would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Hugo,

Unfortunately, user-defined hierarchy is not supported in current version. You can only create attribute hierarchy in PowerPivot. To create a user-defined hierarchy, you have to drag and drop different levels to the table manually. And using DMX in PowerPivot can create calculated member/measure but not hierarchy.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:04 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Hugo,

Unfortunately, user-defined hierarchy is not supported in current version. You can only create attribute hierarchy in PowerPivot. To create a user-defined hierarchy, you have to drag and drop different levels to the table manually. And using DMX in PowerPivot can create calculated member/measure but not hierarchy.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:04 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Raymond - Thanks for your input. I've been trying attribute hierarchies, but unfortunately with my data it doesn't work too well. Personally, I can't wait for PowerPivot 2.0 and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that support for (ragged) hierarchies will be included.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:42 AM