difference between asp.net(.net framework)web application and asp.net core webapplication RRS feed

• Question

• User-1701663573 posted

HI I am a novice and developing an app using xamarin I need to use a web API for it, should I use asp.net(.net framework)web application or

asp.net core web application

Friday, September 25, 2020 10:35 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

NET Framework is almost 20 year old and 4.8 will be the latest version ever. .NET Core is a 4 year old cross platform rewrite. So for new applications you should use ASP.NET Core.

Friday, September 25, 2020 10:56 AM
  • User-1701663573 posted

thanks will try.

Friday, September 25, 2020 1:05 PM
  • Saturday, September 26, 2020 3:59 AM
  • User-1330468790 posted

Hi nitishsantpur,

One of the most different thing is the ability of running on different OS (Cross-platform) like Mac, Windows and Linux.

• ASP.NET Core is an open-source, cross-platform framework for building modern, cloud-based web apps on Windows, macOS, or Linux.
    • ASP.NET 4.x is a mature framework that provides the services needed to build enterprise-grade, server-based web apps on Windows.

They both could be used for building websites, APIs, Real-time(SignalR) and app on Azure.

Another thing you might notice that ASP.NET Core is an open-source, which means you are able to touch the source codes and discuss/submit issues on Github.

As @PatriceSc suggested, ASP.NET Core would be a better choice with many advantages.

Below is the official description about the difference between these two frameworks:

Choose between ASP.NET 4.x and ASP.NET Core

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Sean

Monday, September 28, 2020 1:31 AM
  • User-1701663573 posted

Thanks for replying to help me figure out 

Monday, September 28, 2020 2:25 AM
  • User379720387 posted

ASP.net is not strictly for Windows environments.

I am thinking about web applications, although they would be hosted on Windows server, the website itself works on any browser.

Thursday, October 1, 2020 2:15 PM