My uni tests disappeared after updating Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I've updated my Visual Studio, and the unt tests for my project just disappeared! I open the test explorer, and there is nothing! I didn't do anything with my project, it was normal before the updating! RETURN ME MY TESTS!!! Why is microsoft update process always so askew????
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Ender,

I could repro this issue in my side, actually I setup the English windows 8.1 machine, but I install the German VS 2015, and then create a unit test, it really has no the test method in the test explorer window even if I clean and rebuild the whole solution.

But if I remove the KB from the control panel, I could get the test method normally.

So it would be a real issue.

I help you submit a connect report here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/2979953/uni-tests-disappeared-after-updating-visual-studio-2015-update3-kb

If possible, you could vote it. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:41 AM
  • As stated in this MS Connect ticket by navb:

Hi - It's a known issue we are working on servicing it.
    To unblock from this issue. Please follow the following steps.

1.    Download the attachment ResourcePack.zip and unzip it.
    2.    Close the Visual Studio if it’s open.
    3.    Take a backup of the existing resource DLL (Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll) in <ProgramFilesx86>\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\<Lang>.
    4.    Copy the new resource DLL (Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll) from the unzip location ResorucePack\<Lang> to 
         <ProgramFilesx86>\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\<Lang>

The resource files can be downloaded at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2_fRsQIuFtgQUZChN8vYBWUfu9

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi PavelGGGGG,

>>I've updated my Visual Studio, and the unt tests for my project just disappeared!

How did you update your VS, from VS2015 update 2 to update 3 or from the old VS 2013 to the high VS2015 or others?

Please make sure that your VS really supports the unit test project after you update it. For example, create a simple blank unit test project, check it again.

>> I open the test explorer, and there is nothing!

Do you rebuild your solution after you open the project in new version of VS? If not, you could clean and rebuild your solution, and find whether it has tests in the test explorer window. In addition, you could run a test though right-click the test method and check whether it has "Run Tests" option like the following screenshot:

If still no help, are there any Errors after you rebuild your solution? If yes, please share your detailed error message.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:33 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I have found a radical solution. After a long rummaging on microsoft site I finally found the older version, I was lucky it still had not been replaced by the newest.

Yes, I tried to rebuild my solution after update, it did not help. I am completely sure this is a bug. Maybe it occured because I could have updated myself from update 1 straight to update 3, I don't remember if I installed update 2 or not.

Monday, July 25, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hi PavelGGGGG,

In my side VS2015 update3 as the following screenshot. I opened a test project created by VS2013 update5 or create a new VS2015 unit test project, it has the test methods in the test explorer of VS2015.

Could you share us the VS2015 version information if you use it now? In addition, Which VS version did you use to create this test project before? Please let us know more information about the VS versions and project's information, so we could really repro this issue in our side.

>>I tried to rebuild my solution after update, it did not help

If you use VS2015 update3 please perform the following steps:

1. Install the latest kb of VS (Tools->Extensions and Updates) to fix some bugs. My VS is latest.
    2. You could create a new test project, and rebuild solution. Whether it has test method in your test explore.

a. If yes, it would be related to your project, you could copy the contents from the old project to the new blank solution, clean and rebuild, check it again. In addition, please make sure that you create the unit test project using the default template like the following screen shot. The reason why I ask this issue is that I know that certain test project like Nunit test or others require some extension tools if we want to see the test method in the test explorer window.

b. If not, this could be related to your VS, I suggest you repair your VS, check it again.

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Unfortunitely, I can't tell which version I used to create my project.  I deleted the newest version, installed 14.0.25420.01 Update 3 (the oldest version I could find on MS site), and forbade it to update itself. It works fine. But I have saved my project files in a separate folder, and if it is possible to see which version was used to create them, I will tell it. And I will not install the latest KB because the problem is exactly with it. 
    • Edited by PavelGGGGG Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi PavelGGGGG,

Thanks for your friendly response.

So you mean that it works well in the VS2015 with update 3(14.0.25420.01 ), but not in the version(14.0.25424.00) with that KB, am I right? 

Since it works well in our side even if we install this kb, maybe it is related to this KB's setup or others.

Do you remember when you install this kb? It seems that it has the new update in 7/20/2016.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt752379.aspx

If possible, maybe you could re-install it again since it really works well in our side now.

>>And I will not install the latest KB because the problem is exactly with it. 

If you will not install this KB, using the previous version would be a workaround for this issue now. Of course, please make sure that the known issue which were resolved by that KB didn't impact your developing and testing:)

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I have the same problem here since I have installed Update 3 (Version 14.0.25424.00 Update 3) and I have already installed KB3165756 too.

The test discovery engine is able to find the tests, but the initialization of Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.UI.TestWindowToolWindowControl fails with exception.

Regards,

Ender

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Yes, that's right, it is the latest update, I installed it 24.07.2016. The problems of the version I use still do not affect my development, so for me it is better now then to risk to lose the time again.

Thanks for help, sincerely, Pavel.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi PavelGGGGG,

>>The problems of the version I use still do not affect my development, so for me it is better now then to risk to lose the time again.

If so, would you mind closing this thread? Maybe we could wait for the next update version if it really doesn't impact the VS usage in your side now.

@ Ender,

>>The test discovery engine is able to find the tests, but the initialization of Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.UI.TestWindowToolWindowControl fails with exception.

It seems that it is not the same issue as PavelGGGGG since you could find the test in the test explorer window, would you mind opening a new case in this forum? We will follow up it for you in time.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Hi Jack,

no, I can't see any test in the Test-Explorer Window. But I can start the tests using the commandline tool vstest.console.exe.

Should I still start a new case?

Regards,

Ender

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:10 AM
  • Hi Ender,

If so, we could discuss this issue here even if we couldn't make sure that whether it is the kb issue in your side.

>>The test discovery engine is able to find the tests, but the initialization of Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.UI.TestWindowToolWindowControl fails with exception.

Where did you get this error messages? It seems that other members also met this kind of error message using the old VS version before:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/45fc4684-4089-410f-8d18-a014437bdde2/testwindowtoolwindowinitialize-failed-with-exception?forum=vstest

And it was submitted to the connect report:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/783338/testwindowpackage-initialize-failed

Like the suggestions in the above report, how about deleting the ComponentModelCache folder and repairing VS installation?

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:17 AM
  • It seems, that the problem exists only in our non-english version of vs2015. if we rename the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\de" to something else, it seems to work.

Maybe you didn't deploy the assemblies for german versions?

Regards,

Ender

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for your friendly response, Ender.

>>if we rename the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\de" to something else, it seems to work.

How did you rename the folder in your side?

>>that the problem exists only in our non-english version of vs2015

>>Maybe you didn't deploy the assemblies for german versions?

Since we just support the English issues, so generally we didn't set up other language VS version, but if possible, you could tell me the real Environment, I will try to setup it in my side using a clean windows.

For example:

Do you use the English language windows? What is your windows Environment, windows 10 or others?

In addition, do you mean that you installed the English version kb for your German language VS2015 IDE?

@PavelGGGGG,

Do you also use the non-English VS version? Maybe it was really related to the specific language version as Ender's feedback. If so, one idea is that we could install the English VS version, but install the German language package for VS as a workaround:

https://www.microsoft.com/de-DE/download/details.aspx?id=48157

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

- German Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-Bit Version (6.3, Build 9600)

- German Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Version 14.0.25424.00 Update 3

- KB3165756 installed.

Do you need more informations?

P.S.:

If we rename the "Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll" to "Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll.bak" in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\de" we can see at least the tests in the explorer (with banner).

Regards,

Ender

• Edited by C_Ender Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Hi Ender,

I could repro this issue in my side, actually I setup the English windows 8.1 machine, but I install the German VS 2015, and then create a unit test, it really has no the test method in the test explorer window even if I clean and rebuild the whole solution.

But if I remove the KB from the control panel, I could get the test method normally.

So it would be a real issue.

I help you submit a connect report here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/2979953/uni-tests-disappeared-after-updating-visual-studio-2015-update3-kb

If possible, you could vote it. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi PavelGGGGG,

Do you use the same German VS version?

If so, it would be a real feedback, you could vote the connect report submitted by me. We will get latest information from the report team experts.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:42 AM
  • As stated in this MS Connect ticket by navb:

Hi - It's a known issue we are working on servicing it.
    To unblock from this issue. Please follow the following steps.

1.    Download the attachment ResourcePack.zip and unzip it.
    2.    Close the Visual Studio if it’s open.
    3.    Take a backup of the existing resource DLL (Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll) in <ProgramFilesx86>\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\<Lang>.
    4.    Copy the new resource DLL (Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Core.resources.dll) from the unzip location ResorucePack\<Lang> to 
         <ProgramFilesx86>\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\<Lang>

The resource files can be downloaded at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2_fRsQIuFtgQUZChN8vYBWUfu9

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:47 PM
  • The solution proposed by Jochen works with Vs 2015 Update 3 French version.

Monday, August 1, 2016 3:01 PM