none
Can't assign a group to a license in Azure Portal

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to use groups to allocate PowerBI licenses in the Azure Preview Portal, however it isn't working.

When I attempt to allocate a group with three members to the PowerBI license, I get the following error message;

License operation failed. Make sure that the group has necessary services before adding or removing a dependent service. The service Microsoft Power BI Reporting and Analytics Plan 1 requires SharePoint Online (Plan 2) to be enabled as well.

I've checked that the users in the group have SharePoint Online (Plan 2) enabled as part of their licenses, so this error message is false. 

I can confirm that using groups on E3 and EMS licenses works as expected and only having issues with PowerBI so far.

I hope someone can assist.

Thank you.

Monday, April 10, 2017 4:09 AM

Answers

• I have figured this out.

If you are trying to licence a product with a group (such as Power BI) and that has a dependency on another product (such as PowerBI requiring SharePoint Online (Plan 2)), then the product it has a dependency on must also be licenced via a Group, whether that's via a Product Bundle, or the individual product directly. I'm not sure whether it needs to be the same group, however I'd imagine as long as it isn't a direct assignment on the application that is the dependency, it will work.

I also don't believe nested groups work, so you would need to list all of your users in a single group, or specify multiple groups.

• Marked as answer by JoshT45 Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:46 AM
    • Edited by JoshT45 Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:46 AM Missed key piece of information
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do these uses already have licenses assigned directly to them? If they do, there can be an overlap between the different plans which can result in a "Conflicting service plans" error.

Regards, Sjoukje

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you.

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

They have an E3 licence and a PowerBI license directly assigned.

Should I be removing the direct assignment of the PowerBI license and then use the groups to apply the license?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:46 PM
  • I have figured this out.

If you are trying to licence a product with a group (such as Power BI) and that has a dependency on another product (such as PowerBI requiring SharePoint Online (Plan 2)), then the product it has a dependency on must also be licenced via a Group, whether that's via a Product Bundle, or the individual product directly. I'm not sure whether it needs to be the same group, however I'd imagine as long as it isn't a direct assignment on the application that is the dependency, it will work.

I also don't believe nested groups work, so you would need to list all of your users in a single group, or specify multiple groups.

• Marked as answer by JoshT45 Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:46 AM
    • Edited by JoshT45 Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:46 AM Missed key piece of information
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:45 AM