none
What happens when I try to append to an append blob that is at its max size?

Question

• I am trying to design a solution that will append event data to an append blob just for cold storage of raw events. When I hit the limit on the first append blob, will it know to create a new blob and start appending there? How do I handle the constant in-flow of events so that it doesn't just break when it fills up one blob? 

Thanks,

Danielle

Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Each block in an append blob can be a different size, up to a maximum of 4 MB, and an append blob can include up to 50,000 blocks. The maximum size of an append blob is therefore slightly more than 195 GB (4 MB X 50,000 blocks). If you attempt to upload a block that is larger than 4 MB, the service returns HTTP status code 413 (Request Entity Too Large). The service also returns additional information about the error in the response, including the maximum block size permitted in bytes. If you attempt to upload more than 50,000 blocks, the service returns the BlockCountExceedsLimit error (HTTP status code 409 – Conflict). To my knowledge after reaching the maximum limit it will not expand automatically.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful

• Marked as answer by Danielle F Friday, June 24, 2016 1:47 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Each block in an append blob can be a different size, up to a maximum of 4 MB, and an append blob can include up to 50,000 blocks. The maximum size of an append blob is therefore slightly more than 195 GB (4 MB X 50,000 blocks). If you attempt to upload a block that is larger than 4 MB, the service returns HTTP status code 413 (Request Entity Too Large). The service also returns additional information about the error in the response, including the maximum block size permitted in bytes. If you attempt to upload more than 50,000 blocks, the service returns the BlockCountExceedsLimit error (HTTP status code 409 – Conflict). To my knowledge after reaching the maximum limit it will not expand automatically.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful

• Marked as answer by Danielle F Friday, June 24, 2016 1:47 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Great, thanks so much, that is exactly the information I was looking for!

Danielle

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:47 PM