none
Freeze Current Day Ms Project RRS feed

• Question

• i have a custom formule tot show indicator, on time,to late, on schedule, to create a view for the result of the different departments, the methode to rapport on time,  set the task 100%

i am using this formule for date1

IIf(ProjDateValue("NA");IIf(ProjDateValue("NA") And [% Complete]=100;[Current Date];ProjDateValue("NA"));ProjDateValue("NA"))

and the indicator text1

IIf([Date1]=ProjDateValue("NA");3;(IIf([Date1]<=[Baseline Finish] And [% Complete]=100;1;(IIf([Date1]>[Baseline Finish];2)))))

in works great on the current day, but every day is current day, so when a project closed and open, the current day changes, en indicators change again, because Date1 is changing

my question: can project set a custom date when i set 100% work complete, and in that case, whats the formule to do so

or can i "freeze"current day, and in that case, whats the formule to do so

maybe i am thinking to difficult :-) but....

thanks in advanche

Forum Ms Project

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:25 PM

Answers

• Rein,

The date in the Notes field can be extracted and put into an extra date or text field using a custom field formula, no VBA required. For example, the following formula works for an extra date field (e.g. Date1). Note, it assumes the desired date is always the first entry in the Notes field.

IIf([Notes]<>"",cdate(Mid([Notes],1,InStr(1,[Notes]," ")-1)),"12/31/49")

After posting I thought of something else. If the text in the Notes field is written using a auto-running macro (e.g. triggered by a ProjectBeforeTaskChange Event), then the text string should be very predictable. If I assume there may be other changes to the task that will trigger the procedure to write into the Notes field, then in order to capture only the date associated with the milestone being 100% complete, the formula should be:

IIf(instr(1,[Notes],"%")>0,cdate(Mid([Notes],1,InStr(1,[Notes]," ")-1)),"12/31/49")

John

• Marked as answer by Rein Post Friday, February 24, 2017 6:04 PM
    • Edited by John - Project Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:44 PM edit
    Friday, February 24, 2017 5:59 PM
  • For those who may be following this thread, Rein did send me an e-mail and we will work the issue offline. If anyone is interested in the end result, post here and I'll upload the result.

John

• Marked as answer by Rein Post Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:12 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 4:04 PM

All replies

• Rein,

This is real easy to do with VBA, not so much with custom field formulas because a formula will not allow the custom field itself to be on the right side of the formula equation, like it can with VBA.

However, let's examine your end goal. What exactly are your definitions for "on time", "too late" and "on schedule"? Using percent complete as the update parameter for a task causes Project to assume the task finished as scheduled so the actual finish is the scheduled finish. If that's the case then why mess with current date? Why not simply use the Finish or Actual Finish fields in your formula? Once complete those dates won't change.

John

Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Hoi John

I have 5 milestones/deadlines in each subproject, and each department are completing their milestone/deadlines with 100% complete, we are not changing anything else in the schedule

(You wrote the macro for me in the past to get the 5 milestones from a Subproject rolled up in a Masterview, see view belowJ)

So when a milestone is ready 3 days before end, we are not changing the successor task to a earlier day bij example, but make the task 100 %, and I get a green indicator ( for example Engineering Ready ( Er Date )in project 5 in  the view ) on other hand, if they make the milestone 1 day to late, the indicator shows red

I send one time in the week the viewbelow to all members, so we can see the history of the project, to do it better in the future

Mabe a little bit different,  but the view is nice to everybody

And I have the problem by now, a task was on time ready, the indicator show green , and 2 days later shows red, because the date is changed

The sort question is: I need from project the date when I finish a Milestone/deadline

Hope is clear to you, with my poor languageJ

Forum Ms Project

Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:17 PM
  • without changing any other dates in the schedule

greets 

rein

Forum Ms Project

Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:24 PM
  • Rein,

I remember you but I didn't remember the macro I wrote so I had to look it up. I write a lot of forum responses and a fair number of macros. My memory span lasts about a week, after that, I need to be "re-trained" :-)

Okay, I see your five milestones and the indicators but that doesn't help a whole lot without additional field information. For example, it would be helpful to see the Finish, Percent Complete, Actual Finish, and Baseline Finish fields for at least one of the 5 milestones. However, from your description it sounds like each department is updating the milestone via the Percent Complete field, which as I said, will "lock" the milestone finish date to the scheduled finish date. If that is the case, then why don't you simply substitute the Actual Finish field for the Current Date field in your formula? Does that work? If not, then please explain why not.

John

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:22 PM

• Forum Ms Project

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Rein,

How does the information get into the Notes field? Is that something you manually enter or do you have a macro that writes that data, or what?

Let me get back to my question about what you are trying to accomplish. You have three conditions -"on time", "too late" and "on schedule". You also have three graphical indicators, it looks like they are white, red and green. What determines when a milestone is "on time"? What determines when a milestone is "too late"? What determines when a milestone is "on schedule"? And, which graphical indicator color goes with which condition?

John

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:37 PM
  • hoi John

the info in the notes comes from a macro thats running all the time on backround for al the projects

i have nothing to do manually, my changes are automaticly logged ( for your info, when i change something in the task rule, the macro is logging also in the notes field fot that task )

if i cut my code what iam using now( in the case we are using custom Date 1 what needs to be  the % completion day filled in)

IIf([Date1]=ProjDateValue("NA");3 white ( on schedule)

;(IIf([Date1]<=[Finish] And [% Complete]=100;1 green( when the completion is set on time )

;(IIf([Date1]>[Finish];2 red ( when the completion is set tot late )

in cobination with the formule for Date1 see top of topic

greets rein

Forum Ms Project

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Rein,

Okay, if the macro is always running in the background is it a change event macro that only writes to the Notes field if something changes on that task line? And if so, are there any changes on a task line that you do NOT want the Notes field to be updated? If so, then you should be able to add code to the change event macro that only writes data to the Notes field when it detects a change to the desired fields.

Are we getting any closer?

John

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:08 PM
  • hoi John

maybe its a litle bit diffilcult to explain, but i can,t change that specific macro , its global for al projects in the project server, and i am not allowed to change that.

i think , that i need something to get the % completion date ( maybe picking from the Notes Field, if its possible with VBA or Project tools ) to a text or date field, and then compare with the Finish date

i hope you have still patience

greets rein

patience
    patience
    patience

Forum Ms Project

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:26 PM
  • sorry copy fauld:-)

Forum Ms Project

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Rein,

The date in the Notes field can be extracted and put into an extra date or text field using a custom field formula, no VBA required. For example, the following formula works for an extra date field (e.g. Date1). Note, it assumes the desired date is always the first entry in the Notes field.

IIf([Notes]<>"",cdate(Mid([Notes],1,InStr(1,[Notes]," ")-1)),"12/31/49")

After posting I thought of something else. If the text in the Notes field is written using a auto-running macro (e.g. triggered by a ProjectBeforeTaskChange Event), then the text string should be very predictable. If I assume there may be other changes to the task that will trigger the procedure to write into the Notes field, then in order to capture only the date associated with the milestone being 100% complete, the formula should be:

IIf(instr(1,[Notes],"%")>0,cdate(Mid([Notes],1,InStr(1,[Notes]," ")-1)),"12/31/49")

John

• Marked as answer by Rein Post Friday, February 24, 2017 6:04 PM
    • Edited by John - Project Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:44 PM edit
    Friday, February 24, 2017 5:59 PM
  • thanks John,

i verry Apreciate, i will try on monday,(its weekend now  7 o clock in the evening in the netherlands )

thanks and nice weekend

Rein

Forum Ms Project

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Rein,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Note that I modified my last reply with an updated formula.

John

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:40 PM

• Forum Ms Project

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:15 AM
  • John,

i read back, and see that you already told me: Note, it assumes the desired date is always the first entry in the Notes field. 

but i was thinking that you mean the date that will be set, not the specifis first line entry, i hope there is still an solution...

greets rein

Forum Ms Project

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:26 AM
  • Rein,

Okay, the assumption I used is not valid. That means it cannot be done with a simple formula in a custom field, it will require VBA to read the entire Notes field and find the last date entry for percent complete going from 0 to 100. Not impossible, just more coding.

John

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:18 PM
  • hi John

that means to change the "global code" that runs by now the (e.g. triggered by a ProjectBeforeTaskChange Event) , or can it be done in every project where put the VBA code in?

greets Rein

Forum Ms Project

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Rein,

Who creates/controls the master file? At what level is the information in the Notes field written, master or subproject?

If you control the master, then the necessary macro to extract the Notes field data can be run at master level. If the Notes field information is on the subproject insertion point summary line in the master, then it is very straightforward to extract the necessary date. If the Notes field information resides only at subproject level, then it is still relatively easy to extract the date, it just needs to pull it from each subproject.

John

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:12 PM
  • hi John

the VBA macro is global ( see screenshot )

and the code below ia wath they used:

Private Sub App_ProjectBeforeTaskChange(ByVal tsk As MSProject.Task, ByVal Field As PjField, ByVal NewVal As Variant, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim Cell As String
    Dim CurrentDateandTime As String
    Dim CurrentUser As String
    Dim Customer As String
    Dim fposition As Integer
    Dim TrackChanges As Boolean

'TrackChanges = (ActiveProject.ProjectSummaryTask.GetField(FieldNameToFieldConstant("Track Changes")) = "Yes")

'If TrackChanges Then

If Not (tsk.GetField(Field) = tsk.Priority) And Not (FieldConstantToFieldName(Field) = "Org_Start") And Not (FieldConstantToFieldName(Field) = "Org_Finish") And Not (FieldConstantToFieldName(Field) = "Mail_Date") Then
                        'Determine Current User
                        CurrentUser = Right(Application.UserName, Len(Application.UserName) - fposition)
                        'Determine current date and time
                        CurrentDateandTime = Format(Now, "dd-mm-yy hh:mm")

'Determine current user
                        fposition = InStr(Application.UserName, "\") 'remove domain name
                       CurrentUser = Right(Application.UserName, Len(Application.UserName) - fposition)

If (tsk.GetField(Field) = tsk.Name) Then

'Determine the Name of the modified cell
                       Cell = FieldConstantToFieldName(Field)

ElseIf (tsk.GetField(Field) = tsk.ActualStart) Then

ElseIf (tsk.GetField(Field) = tsk.ActualFinish) Then

ElseIf (tsk.GetField(Field) = tsk.ActualDuration) Then

End If

'Update the Task Notes with Date, User, CellName, Old value -> New Value
                        tsk.Notes = CurrentDateandTime + " (" + CurrentUser + ") " + Cell + " modified: " + tsk.GetField(Field) + " -> " + CStr(NewVal) + vbNewLine + tsk.Notes

End If
      '          End If

End Sub

Forum Ms Project

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Rein,

Sorry I don't understand. You said the macro that runs in the background is at global level, specifically enterprise global. The screen shot shows the first part of that macro. Okay. Then you make a statement about the code below being what "they" used. It looks like the code does what you said, it captures changes and writes them to the Notes field. But none of this answers any of the questions I asked.

Are you asking me to do something else?

John

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:25 PM
  • hi John

sorry, i was thinking that you need the macro to see how it was build

i control the master

the info/notes is writed in all subprojects, and i put everything "up" to master with your other macro

is that what you mean?

greets Rein

Forum Ms Project

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:36 PM
  • Rein,

The ideal place to put the added code is in the global master but you already said you do not control that nor can you edit or add to it, so it is irrelevant.

Now that I know the Notes field information is in each subproject and that you create the master, I can write a macro for you that will extract the desired date and use it to set up your indicators. I'll have a look at the macro I wrote for you previously and possibly incorporate the new code into that macro. I just need to understand a couple of things.

1. If a task is not complete (i.e. % Complete = 0%) then the Date1 field in the master is to remain "NA" and the value of Text1 = "3" (on schedule)

1. If a task is complete (i.e. % Complete = 100%) then the Notes field will be examined to find the last entry with the string: 0% -> 100% . The date of completion associated with that entry will then be written into the Date1 field

2. If the Date1 field has a date (i.e. not "NA") and Date1 is equal to or less than Finish, Text1 = "1" (on time)

3. If the Date1 field has a date (i.e. not "NA") and Date1 is greater than Finish, then Text1 = "2" (late)

Does that sum it up?

John

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:26 PM
  • hi John

good news. i have permit to change the global macro:-) 

zo i dont know what easy is to you , to change, the global macro or your macro ( if you change your macro below, you indeed can use that critera for date1 )

your macro is a little bit changes, because there was a need to see also the dates ( see vieuw above )

i use now this macro:

in date 2 to 6 , ( the formule used in date1  you see at the top )

Option Compare Text
     Public sp As Subproject
     Public t As Task
     Public Str As String
     Sub DMstrMilestoneRollup()
     'This macro rolls up specific milestones of subprojects in a dynamic master to
     ' the subproject insertion point summary line in the master.
     'Macro written by John Project for Rein Post
     'March 23, 2016 7:00 AM
     For Each sp In ActiveProject.Subprojects
         For Each t In sp.SourceProject.Tasks
             Select Case t.Name
                 Case "PO / OSF"
                     'TstCriteria
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text10 = t.Text10 ' Str
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date2 = t.Start
                 Case "engineering ready"
                     'TstCriteria
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text11 = t.Text11 ' Str
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date3 = t.Start
                 Case "purchasing ready"
                     'TstCriteria
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text12 = t.Text12 ' Str
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date4 = t.Start
                 Case "ready for preshipment"
                     'TstCriteria
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text13 = t.Text13 ' Str
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date5 = t.Start
                 Case "Leave Breda"
                     'TstCriteria
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text14 = t.Text14 ' Str
                     On Error Resume Next
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date6 = t.Start
             End Select
         Next t
     Next sp
     End Sub

hope its clear

greets rein

Forum Ms Project

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Rein,

Let's just go ahead and modify the macro I wrote. That will be easier than going through code that someone else wrote.

I do have a couple of questions about the modifications you made to the macro I wrote. I see you commented out the subroutine, TstCriteria. May I assume you do not need the message rollup? I also see you added several On Error Resume Next statements. Were you experiencing some type of error? If so, what?

John

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:00 PM
  • hi John

yes i need the rollup, i use your macro in the master to rollup the subprojectdates

sorry i forgot that piece, you mean this:

Sub TstCriteria()
     'This sub determines the message to rollup
     If t.BaselineFinish > 50000 Then
         Str = "4"
     ElseIf t.FinishVariance > 0 And t.Critical = True Then
         Str = "2"
     ElseIf t.FinishVariance > 0 And t.Critical = False Then
         Str = "3"
     Else
         Str = "1"
     End If

End Sub

the On Error Resume Next statements was added by our  Aplication manager in the past, but mabey is not neccasary

he also agree it is better to change the global macro, but you are the master:-)

( so i get my permit )

if you change the macro, write it like you see it, and i will use it, and by error i report to you

thanks in advanche

greets rein

Forum Ms Project

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Rein,

It seems to get more confusing. If you need the Sub TstCriteria then why is it commented out (if there is a ' mark in front of a statement, that means it is a comment and not executed)? And, the On Error Resume Next statements are definitely not needed. Those statements are only necessary if there is a possibility for an error and with this simple macro I don't see where an error could occur.

I don't see anything in the Event macro that writes the result of the Percent Complete field. Unless I'm missing something, the only fields monitored are: Name, Actual Start, Actual Finish and Actual Duration. So what writes the percent complete information?

One more question. In order to determine the value for the Date1 field in the master, which task in the subproject contains the correct "current date" information? Is it the Project Summary Task of each subproject? If not, which task in the subproject?

John

• Edited by John - Project Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:13 AM more questions than answers
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 10:04 PM
  • hi John 

indeed, more confusing now, i dont know anymore....

the Aplication manager that wrote the global macro in year 2010 is retired

the Aplication manager we have now, did nothing with ms projects, so he can write macro,s and code

but he also needs to know how projects works, so he and i have to find out how projects is "equipped".

so he will do nothing more on efforts untill he knows how projects works

so for now, can we 1 step back, and do your suggested idea yesterday?

Now that I know the Notes field information is in each subproject and that you create the master, I can write a macro for you that will extract the desired date and use it to set up your indicators. I'll have a look at the macro I wrote for you previously and possibly incorporate the new code into that macro. I just need to understand a couple of things.

1. If a task is not complete (i.e. % Complete = 0%) then the Date1 field in the master is to remain "NA" and the value of Text1 = "3" (on schedule)RIGHT

1. If a task is complete (i.e. % Complete = 100%) then the Notes field will be examined to find the last entry with the string: 0% -> 100% . The date of completion associated with that entry will then be written into the Date1 field      RIGHT

2. If the Date1 field has a date (i.e. not "NA") and Date1 is equal to or less than Finish, Text1 = "1" (on time)  RIGHT

3. If the Date1 field has a date (i.e. not "NA") and Date1 is greater than Finish, then Text1 = "2" (late) RIGHT

Does that sum it up?

Mabey for now this is the best solution, i see i make mistakes in the macro, i put the macro in every subproject and in the masters, but i see, i need it only in the Master to rollup the task field, On Error Resum next is indeed not necassary, so i did not do it wel

so my question: forget my "corrupt" macro, and can/will you update your original macro with your suggested date1 info? , i will use that, on error i come back to you

greets Rein

Forum Ms Project

• Edited by Rein Post Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:50 AM forgot something
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:13 AM
  • i am sorry,see your last question:

One more question. In order to determine the value for the Date1 field in the master, which task in the subproject contains the correct "current date" information? Is it the Project Summary Task of each subproject? If not, which task in the subproject?

you mean the task names ( that as set to completion ) in each subproject for in the macro

t.Name

Case "PO / OSF"

Case "engineering ready"

Case "purchasing ready"

Case "Leave Breda"
                    greets

rein

Forum Ms Project

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Rein,

Just for reference, the Event code you posted that is supposed to write the change information to the Notes field is not the code that is actually used since the code you posted will not make an entry for % complete changes. The code does make an entry for tasks that have an actual finish and that by itself indicates the task is 100% complete, but that entry does NOT write text string relating to % complete. The real Event code macro must be somewhere else in the Enterprise Global. However, we don't need to do anything with that Global code.

With regard to your last response to my last question, let me re-phrase for better understanding.

In your master file you want to populate the Text1 field on each of the subproject rolled up milestone tasks in the master so your graphical indicator formula can display the proper indicator. The Event code that runs whenever a change is made in one of the subproject files writes a text string into the Notes field. For the text string that tracks changes to the Percent Complete field, I need to know which task in each subproject represents the respective milestone in the master. In other words, which task in each subproject corresponds to the milestone task in the master?

John

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Hi John.

Maybe I can subscribe the Concrete situation what I have now and works at the moment ( i dont understand your question, but mabey you have your answer in info below )

your macro ( without the mistakes J) + 5 date fields to get/show the task start dates also rolled 

macro is in the Masterfile:

Option Compare Text
     Public sp As Subproject
     Public t As Task
     Public Str As String
     Sub DMstrMilestoneRollup()
     'This macro rolls up specific milestones of subprojects in a dynamic master to
     ' the subproject insertion point summary line in the master.
     'Macro written by John Project for Rein Post
     'March 23, 2016 7:00 AM
     For Each sp In ActiveProject.Subprojects
         For Each t In sp.SourceProject.Tasks
             Select Case t.Name
                 Case "PO / OSF"
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text10 = t.Text10
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date2 = t.Start
                 Case "engineering ready"
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text11 = t.Text11
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date3 = t.Start
                 Case "purchasing ready"
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text12 = t.Text12
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date4 = t.Start
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text13 = t.Text13
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date5 = t.Start
                 Case "Leave Breda"
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Text14 = t.Text14
                     sp.InsertedProjectSummary.Date6 = t.Start
             End Select
         Next t
     Next sp
     End Sub

formule in the textfields in al subprojects:  IIf([Date1]=ProjDateValue("NA");3;(IIf([Date1]<=[Finish] And [% Complete]=100;1;(IIf([Date1]>[Finish];2)))))

formule in date1 field in all subprojects: IIf(ProjDateValue("NA");IIf(ProjDateValue("NA") And [% Complete]=100;[Current Date];ProjDateValue("NA"));ProjDateValue("NA"))<o:p>

formule in data fields 2.3.4.5.6 in Masterproject: [start] ( maybe I do something wrong, but it works, because the macro insert the correct date s from subproject, but correct me , if I do it wrong )

workwise: I open the master, run macro, and have this view with all 5 milestones rolled up 

I do nothing with the master, no scheduling only for the view

the only thing not works is as you know the % completion date in combination with a “refreshing” current date in Date1

hope you know what you need.

greets Rein

Forum Ms Project

• Edited by Rein Post Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:16 PM *
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Rein,

I wish I could show you a screen shot of my head, it is spinning, but.... it is starting to slow down.

I think I've got what I need. Hopefully I'll have the new macro for you tomorrow (Friday), or if not, then by next Monday.

John

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:25 PM
  • hi John

thanks a lot, and think about your head:-)

thanks rein

Forum Ms Project

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Rein,

I thought I had it figured out, but then my head started spinning again. Ugh!

See screen shot.

I also realized that we should have taken this discussion off line several days ago. It's not really of general interest and the thread is getting realllllllllllly longggggggggg. So, please contact me at the address below and we'll continue one-on-one. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

• Edited by John - Project Friday, March 3, 2017 1:18 AM take off line
    Friday, March 3, 2017 12:17 AM
  • i send you E-mail

Forum Ms Project

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:03 PM
  • For those who may be following this thread, Rein did send me an e-mail and we will work the issue offline. If anyone is interested in the end result, post here and I'll upload the result.

John

• Marked as answer by Rein Post Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:12 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 4:04 PM