Windows/Domain Credentials in Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am building an app for Outlook and I have the following scenario. I want to access an internal website through my app by using the domain credentials and I want to know if there is some way my app can allow this.

Also, I want to make a request to an internal WCF service, so I would like to know if there's any way of impersonating the client in the server so that I don't have to pass any domain credentials.

How does the authentication model work for Office Apps? How can I use my Windows credentials to access other sites?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hector

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hector,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into your issue to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hi Hector - we've designed the app model to be as close to the way the browser would behave as we can, so in this case your browser settings apply. We use Internet Explorer settings so the ones that gate this behavior are:

(to get here: Gear icon, Internet Options/Security & select the Intranet zone)

Select custom level and check the options:

1/ User Authentication/Logon is set to "Automatic logon only in Intranet Zone"

2/ Miscellaneous/Access data sources across domains - see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/b3f12422-adc7-48cc-aa62-32b934d9fff8

You will only need to worry about 2/ if the web service is on another domain from the page representing your app.

Note that we don't do anything to ease the "double hop" problem, however, again because we kept as close to the web browser paradigm as we could, there are some known ways to act on behalf of the caller in the server, see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/16d5406f-ebd7-41d2-a323-3530703497cd/

Hope this helps....

...pc

Monday, August 27, 2012 10:25 PM