none
Failed to allocate a managed memory buffer of 268435456 bytes. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read in some forums that we could set transfer mode from Buffered to Streamed but I want keep Message Security which does not seem possible in streamed mode.

I personally do not understand why the error message mention 256MB when all WCF configurations that I have read about points to 2GB. The exact error message is "Failed to allocate a managed memory buffer of 268435456 bytes. The amount of available memory may be low." You will find the exact binding configurations below.

Binding (Client side):

<customBinding>
            <binding name="CustomBinding_ProjectDesign" closeTimeout="01:00:00"
              openTimeout="01:00:00" receiveTimeout="01:00:00" sendTimeout="01:00:00">
              <reliableSession acknowledgementInterval="00:20:00" flowControlEnabled="true"
                inactivityTimeout="00:59:00" maxPendingChannels="4" maxRetryCount="8"
                maxTransferWindowSize="8" ordered="true" reliableMessagingVersion="Default" />
              <textMessageEncoding maxReadPoolSize="64" maxWritePoolSize="16"
                messageVersion="Default" writeEncoding="utf-8">
                <readerQuotas maxDepth="64" maxStringContentLength="2147483647"
                  maxArrayLength="2147483647" maxBytesPerRead="2147483647" maxNameTableCharCount="2147483647" />
              </textMessageEncoding>
              <httpTransport manualAddressing="false" maxBufferPoolSize="2147483647"
                maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647" allowCookies="false" authenticationScheme="Basic"
                bypassProxyOnLocal="false" decompressionEnabled="true" hostNameComparisonMode="StrongWildcard"
                keepAliveEnabled="true" maxBufferSize="2147483647" proxyAuthenticationScheme="Anonymous"
                realm="" transferMode="Buffered" unsafeConnectionNtlmAuthentication="false"
                useDefaultWebProxy="true" />
            </binding>
          </customBinding>

Endpoint behaviour (Client side):

<behaviors>
          <endpointBehaviors>
            <behavior name="DesignBehaviour">
              <dataContractSerializer maxItemsInObjectGraph="2147483647"/>
            </behavior>
          </endpointBehaviors>
        </behaviors>

The Binding (Server side):

<customBinding>
            <binding name="ProjectDesignBinding" receiveTimeout="00:59:00" sendTimeout="00:59:00" openTimeout="00:59:00" closeTimeout="00:59:00">
              <textMessageEncoding>
                <readerQuotas maxDepth="64" maxStringContentLength="2147483647" maxArrayLength="2147483647" maxBytesPerRead="2147483647" maxNameTableCharCount="2147483647" />
              </textMessageEncoding>
              <reliableSession acknowledgementInterval="00:20:00" inactivityTimeout="00:59:00" ordered="true" flowControlEnabled="false" />
              <httpTransport authenticationScheme="Basic" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647" maxBufferPoolSize="2147483647" maxBufferSize="2147483647" />
            </binding>
          </customBinding>

Endpoint behaviour (Server side):

<behaviors>
          <serviceBehaviors>
            <behavior name="Project.API.Design.ProjectDesign">
              <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" />
              <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true" />
              <dataContractSerializer maxItemsInObjectGraph="2147483647" />
              <serviceCredentials>
                <userNameAuthentication userNamePasswordValidationMode="Custom" customUserNamePasswordValidatorType="Project.Account.WebServiceCustomValidator,Project"></userNameAuthentication>
              </serviceCredentials>
            </behavior>
          </serviceBehaviors>
        </behaviors>

If I cannot find the exact cause, then I believe that I have the options below to follow on:
    - Chunking Channel (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa717050.aspx).
    - Data compression.

I will prefer to at least configure it to handle the maximum of data before moving into optimization and compression though.

Regards,

Nisha

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:12 PM

Answers

• Is it just on a single machine or the error comes when you are trying it on different machines as well. Also have you made sure to set the HttpRuntime property?

<system.web>    
        <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="2147483647" />     
      </system.web>

Also just cross check the following:

1. See if the machine has enough physical memory available

2. The number of requests being processed

Rajesh S V

• Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, February 17, 2012 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• In you service and endpoint configuration do you configure the servicebahavior and endpointbehavior 

<service name="xyz"  

behaviorConfiguration="
    Project.API.Design.ProjectDesign
    "/>

Similarly in endpoint configuration ... 

Could you please enable tracing in your service ? It will point you to the exact error you are getting. Sometimes this high level error are bit misleading. 

Tanvir Huda Application Architect/Consultant

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Please enable Tracing on your service and inspect the Trace logs to get an exact idea on where the error is being thrown. 

Rajesh S V

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Tanvir Huda, 

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the late response, I assumed I would receive a notification. Yes, I did include the behaviorConfiguration attribute in the service/endpoint definition. 

Yes, I know about those high level errors that does not help at all. This one was actually a low level one that I got when enabling wcf tracing.

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Rajesh S V,

Thank you for looking into this issue. Please see my reply to Tanvir Huda. 

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi Nisha,

Can you check to see if the support article is applicable in your case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974065

Rajesh S V

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hi Rajesh,

I've seen this page. Firstly, the computer do not have over 8 processors. However, I still read through it and from my understanding, the resolution section said to contact microsoft support.

There is a workaround around section "http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/at1stbec.aspx" which did not make any difference when applied.

Regards,

Nisha

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Is it just on a single machine or the error comes when you are trying it on different machines as well. Also have you made sure to set the HttpRuntime property?

<system.web>    
        <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="2147483647" />     
      </system.web>

Also just cross check the following:

1. See if the machine has enough physical memory available

2. The number of requests being processed

Rajesh S V

• Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, February 17, 2012 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:05 AM
  • For information, I do not believe this was the answer. I do not have access to that particular database and therefore could not reply with the exact facts.

Two machines with 4gig and 8gig of RAM had this issue.

At the time, I did set maxRequestLength="2147483647" which was needed for file upload (not related to this issue).

For physical memory, I do not believe that this is the issue as one computer had 8 gig of RAM. But I cannot say how much was available at the time though.

As for the number of requests, it is a simple web service call that retrieves records in the database, create a list of objects and return that list to the client to display as a table in the UI. 

I will update this forum when I reproduce the error and found the solution.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:36 AM
  • I was getting the same exception.

I decided to try host my service in IIS instead of WebDev.

This fixed the issue.

Hope this helps anyone.

Friday, July 25, 2014 11:28 AM
  • I have a problem i am using the following configuration at production machine this configuration give me this error.

"Failed to allocate a managed memory buffer of 67108864 bytes. The amount of available memory may be low."

but when i restore same database on my development machine and run the service with same configuration it works fine.

Binding Client Side

<bindings>
          <wsHttpBinding>
            <binding name="ExtendedwsHttpBinding" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647" sendTimeout="23:59:59" textEncoding="utf-16">
              <readerQuotas maxStringContentLength="2147483647" maxArrayLength="2147483647"   />
              <security>
                <message establishSecurityContext="false"  />
              </security>
            </binding>
          </wsHttpBinding>
    </bindings>

Binding Server Side:

<bindings>
          <wsHttpBinding>
            <binding name="ExtendedConfiguration" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647">
              <readerQuotas maxStringContentLength="2147483647" maxArrayLength="2147483647" />
              <security>
                <message establishSecurityContext="false" />
              </security>
            </binding>
        </bindings>

behaviour server side:

<behaviors>
          <serviceBehaviors>
            <behavior name="returnFaults">
              <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true" />
              <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" />
              <dataContractSerializer maxItemsInObjectGraph="2147483647" />
            </behavior>

</behaviors>

but on production server it gives the error

The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly."

and when i run the trace for WCF service i found out

"Failed to allocate a managed memory buffer of 67108864 bytes. The amount of available memory may be low."

can any one tell me how can i solve this problem

Regads,

ADL

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:54 AM