I can't install windows 8 developer preview 64 bit but my computer support 64 bit

Question

• I can install windows 8 developer preview 32 bit but when I try to install windows 8 64 bit I get this message:

but my computer support 64 bit:

• Edited by nirlook05 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• If you are currently running a 32 bit OS, going from 32 to 64 bit requires you to restart and boot from the 64 bit DVD. You can't start the install process while in a 32 bit version of Windows.

BIOS - How to Enter the BIOS and Change Boot Order To Boot From CD/DVD

The computer may need to be set to boot from the DVD drive.
    Every computer is different, when you first turn on the computer it should tell you what button to push to enter the BIOS. It's usually one of the following and you must push it within the first 5 seconds:

F1  F2  F10  F12 ESC  DEL

Once in the BIOS you have to find the menu with the boot order and change it so it boots from the CD/DVD drive first. Every computer is a little different for this process as well so I can't give exact directions.

If your BIOS settings are correct and if you have a DVD drive, when the computer restarts if there is a message to "press any key to boot from disk" you must press a key on the keyboard to boot from the DVD.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:12 PM
  • How I can do a clean install in windows 8.

Insert the Windows 8 disk into your DVD drive.

Restart the computer.

Boot from the DVD.

Go through the install process, choosing Custom (not Upgrade) when asked.

For more info about how to boot from the DVD see my first post.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:57 AM
  • The problem fixed.

The problem was when I use the incorrect DVD driver and the problem fixed when I use the  correct DVD driver.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:55 PM

All replies

• If you are currently running a 32 bit OS, going from 32 to 64 bit requires you to restart and boot from the 64 bit DVD. You can't start the install process while in a 32 bit version of Windows.

BIOS - How to Enter the BIOS and Change Boot Order To Boot From CD/DVD

The computer may need to be set to boot from the DVD drive.
    Every computer is different, when you first turn on the computer it should tell you what button to push to enter the BIOS. It's usually one of the following and you must push it within the first 5 seconds:

F1  F2  F10  F12 ESC  DEL

Once in the BIOS you have to find the menu with the boot order and change it so it boots from the CD/DVD drive first. Every computer is a little different for this process as well so I can't give exact directions.

If your BIOS settings are correct and if you have a DVD drive, when the computer restarts if there is a message to "press any key to boot from disk" you must press a key on the keyboard to boot from the DVD.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:12 PM
  • It isn't work because my computer says that CD of Windows 8 developer preview x64 bit isn't operation system disc.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:14 PM
  • You may have a corrupted download. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the .ISO. Try re-downloading and re-burning the .ISO file. Also, it may help to burn using a lower speed if the software you are using to burn the .ISO supports that function.

On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use
    Windows Disc Image Burner

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:32 AM
  • I re-downloading and re-install the WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English.ISO and there  problems ruturn. 
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:21 AM
  • As Trek Dozer stated, you cannot install a 64-bit Operating System over a 32-bit Operating System. You would need to do a clean installation.

As the specs state, your computer is capable of running a 64-bit system. However, there is no real advantage of running a 64-bit operating system with 2GB of RAM. You would not see any performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit system unless you increase the RAM. A 32-bit system cannot detect 4 or more GB of RAM.  

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:46 PM

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:52 AM

Insert the Windows 8 disk into your DVD drive.

Restart the computer.

Boot from the DVD.

Go through the install process, choosing Custom (not Upgrade) when asked.

For more info about how to boot from the DVD see my first post.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:57 AM
  • When I try to do clean install I get this message: "Non-System disk or disk error

replace and press any key when ready" and when I press a key, the x32 bit version started.

This problem return again after re-download and re-burn too, and when I download and burn in another computers.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:59 PM
  • I believe (I might be mistaken) the problem is that while your processor Intel software is configured to run the x64 processor, your hardware might not be configured for this task. Moreover, Intel configuration files are marked as Intel64 while also having only x86 capability and this might trigger your system specs to mistakenly show it as being ready for 64-bit while in fact this is not true.

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:21 PM
  • When I try to do clean install I get this message: "Non-System disk or disk error

replace and press any key when ready" and when I press a key, the x32 bit version started.

This problem return again after re-download and re-burn too, and when I download and burn in another computers.

Have you tried dual booting using the 32 bit Windows 8 Developer preview to see if it provides a different result?

Do you have a partition prepared to install Windows 8 Developer Preview on?

If you have any non-essential devices attached to the computer, try disconnecting them, they might be interfering with setup.

Also, try burning the .ISO file at the lowest speed possible and make sure you are using good quality blank media for the burn.

If you are performing a clean installation booting from DVD.  We usually come across this error message if the CD/DVD drive is incompatible with Microsoft's AHCI driver (msahci.sys).

To work around this issue, disable AHCI mode for your disk controller in the system BIOS. Typically the controller has to be changed from AHCI mode to "IDE" or "ATA" mode.

Access the below link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951

Also go through the below link where many users have come across a similar kind of issue you are experiencing and they have fixed by following the suggestions provided by Kevin Hau MSFT, Moderator on Monday, October 26, 2009 10:39 PM:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/c211ce29-8e5c-4a2f-aeee-fc2a6e62aef5/

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:34 PM
  • The problem fixed.

The problem was when I use the incorrect DVD driver and the problem fixed when I use the  correct DVD driver.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:55 PM