SQL Server mutual authentication(2-way ssl) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I am trying to use TLS/SSL with SQL server. I can successfully setup server for 1-way SSL. However, as the next part of my project, I need to implement 2-way SSL also(i.e. need to validate client certificates). I couldn't find any documentation how and if SQL server supports this feature. While browsing, I found this answer https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/076e0764-576f-40a9-9bfc-b622e4ac8e22/sql-2014-certificate-authentication?forum=sqlsecurity. Is it still valid for latest versions of SQL server? 

Is there any official documentation stating that it does not support mutual authentication(if it doesn't)?

Does anyone have any information regarding this? Thanks 
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi kAus023,

>> Is it still valid for latest versions of SQL server?

Yes. As Raul Garcia mentioned, SQL Server supports two authentication modes, Windows authentication mode and mixed mode. Please refer to Authentication in SQL Server.

I found a similar thread, hope it could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by kAus023 Friday, January 31, 2020 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:52 AM