SQL SERVER 2012 EXPRESS Server Roles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am trying to check the Server Roles properties in SQL SERVER 2012 EXPRESS.

I log on as the user "sa" who has the sysadmin role.

In Object Explorer, expand Security |Server Roles, right-click sysadmin, only can see "Start PowerShell","Reports"and "Refresh". there is no "Properties".

I try to log on with different accounts and get the same results.

Thanks a lot!

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I am trying to check the Server Roles properties in SQL SERVER 2012 EXPRESS.

I log on as the user "sa" who has the sysadmin role.

In Object Explorer, expand Security |Server Roles, right-click sysadmin, only can see "Start PowerShell","Reports"and "Refresh". there is no "Properties".

I try to log on with different accounts and get the same results.

Thanks a lot!

This is what express 2012 edition is ,this is not an issue. Express edition comes with limited capabilities not every feature is available in it.

Try same on developer,Ent,standard you will see properties,if you login as sysadmin ir SA

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Thanks Shanky,

But why there is "Properties" in SQL SERVER 2008 R2 EXPRESS?

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Something seems to be broken. As far I understand, Express 2012 ships with the real SSMS, not any stripped down version. I would recommend that you try to repair the install.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, May 5, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Qdb

Actually 2012 Sp1 is fully capable SSMS.

I see same behavior what you are telling in SQL 2014 CTP2 express edition.I might be wrong so you can try repair option.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:04 PM
  • Thanks Erland and Shanky,

I tried repair option and even installed another Instance, but the "Properties" never show up.

If I used the Express 2012 to connect to another server like SQL SERVER 2008, I can see the "Properties" under "Server Roles".

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:24 PM
  • I tried repair option and even installed another Instance, but the "Properties" never show up.

Installing a new instance of the engine will not give you any new tools.

So it works correctly if you connect to an instance of SQL 2008?

When I connect to an instance of SQL 2012, I see quite a few more option that I do on an SQL 2008 instance. This is not entirely surprising, since SQL 2012 permits you define your own server roles, while SQL 2008 do not.

If you right-click the Server Role node itself, do you see New Server Role in the context menu?

What about Logins; do you see the full menu here?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Thanks so much Erland,

I also try to connect to SQL SERVER 2000.

When I connect to an instance of SQL SERVER 2012 or SQL SERVER  2000 , right-click the SERVER ROLES node itself,  'New Server Role' doesn't show up.

connect to an instance of SQL 2012, login as 'sa', Server Roles---sysadmin, right click only see "Start PowerShell","Reports"and "Refresh".

connect to an instance of SQL 2000 login as 'sa', Server Roles---sysadmin, right click only see "Start PowerShell","Reports","Refresh" and "Properties".

Friday, May 9, 2014 7:45 PM
  • The result for SQL 2000 seems normal. New Server roles does not show up for SQL 2000, since this feature is not available in SQL 2000.

I have no idea why it does not show up for SQL 2012. Can you post the output from Help->About in SSMS?

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:19 PM