Anyway to open up an SSRS report directly from Excel? RRS feed

• Question

• Curious to see if there is a way to directly open the ssrs report from Excel without having to use the service to first download the file and then open...

ddd

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:56 PM

Answers

• Not that I'm aware of.

Is this to ensure you have the most current information available just by opening the spreadsheet? If so I might recommend creating a Windows File Share subscription to drop a new copy of the report into a specified folder every X amount of minutes, that way the data is refreshed, and your users are none the wiser.

Hope that helps.

Zach Stagers - scratchbox.co.uk
    MCITP: Database Developer 2008
    Remember to Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful

• Marked as answer by Lola Wang Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Not that I'm aware of.

Is this to ensure you have the most current information available just by opening the spreadsheet? If so I might recommend creating a Windows File Share subscription to drop a new copy of the report into a specified folder every X amount of minutes, that way the data is refreshed, and your users are none the wiser.

Hope that helps.

Zach Stagers - scratchbox.co.uk
    MCITP: Database Developer 2008
    Remember to Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful

• Marked as answer by Lola Wang Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Well...no...

Our SSRS reports are mostly matrix based reports. Apparently, there is a performance issue with the reportviewer control and the web browser based control, if you have information above a threshold it takes very long to load, scroll, and drill down. Thus, for many instances I'll have the reportviewer control just export it to Excel directly. However, if I could just open it up, then theoretically I can parallelize all the reports that I have to open...

ddd

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Chris Webb has an interesting strategy for this.  Not exactly elegant, but can solve some problems:

http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/consuming-ssrs-data-in-excel-2007/

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:24 PM