Visual C# Express Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I created a project in Visual C# Express Edition, I was so delighted with the Visual C# Express Edition that I have purchased the Visual Studio Professional 2005 Edition. I am awaiting delivery of the Visual Studio Professional 2005 Edition product, can I convert the project created using Visual C# Express Edition to a project in Visual Studio Professional 2005 Edition?
    Sunday, April 16, 2006 12:03 PM

Answers

• Yes, it works. In fact there is no conversion happening... the project file format is just the same between the two versions of VS.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 12:21 PM
  •  

What you will find is that when you do open the project, when saving for the first time it will ask for the location to save a solution file.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 11:51 PM

All replies

• Yes, it works. In fact there is no conversion happening... the project file format is just the same between the two versions of VS.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 12:21 PM
  •  

What you will find is that when you do open the project, when saving for the first time it will ask for the location to save a solution file.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 11:51 PM
  •  Glenn Wilson wrote:

I read you saying also simerlar in another post that express cannot create solution files. But mine is creating solutions automatically with projects and letting me add projects to a solution (although I'm yet to use that).

The solution file looks the same, other than "# Visual C# Express 2005" written in it and having a green icon.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:03 PM
  • Express can (and it does) create solution files and you can have more than one project in a solution. The difference between express and professional versions is that you cannot mix languages in the same solution. You can only have C# projects in VS C# Express while in a professional edition you can have a C# project and a VB.NET project in the same solution.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:08 PM
  •  Mike Danes wrote:

Express can (and it does) create solution files and you can have more than one project in a solution. The difference between express and professional versions is that you cannot mix languages in the same solution. You can only have C# projects in VS C# Express while in a professional edition you can have a C# project and a VB.NET project in the same solution.

Yes, so mine isn't broken.

Well c# express can only create and use c# projects, but it can safely ignore projects it can't open I think. If I open a solution containing a vb project it tells me the application to open the project is not installed and just opens the c# one.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:34 PM