none
How to run .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 install without restart or Internet access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to run the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 install in a way that supresses both a Windows restart and Internet access. (The no restart is because this install is being run by a custom installer utility that will install other software packages after the framework. The no Internet access is to prevent a dialer window from being raised, which may be hidden by the custom installer window.

For the original .NET Framework 3.5 I was running the following command that someone else provided me:
      dotnetfx35.exe /q:a /c:"install.exe /qb /l"

When I tried to use the same parameters with 3.5 SP1 I was seeing a Windows restart after the framework install, which prevented my other software packages from installing.

So, I tried:
      dotnetfx35.exe /qb /norestart

This did away with the restarts, but I'm still seeing that if the computer is not connected to the Internet the framework install pauses while a dialer is raised. If I dismiss the dialer the framework install continues and completes fine.

Is there a way to run the framework installer without a restart or any Internet access?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason

Fortunately, Aaron Stebner has blogged Scenarios where .NET Framework 3.5 setup tries to connect to the Internet and how to avoid them .
    Although it is talking about .NET 3.5, most parts also apply to .NET 3.5 SP1 deployment.

In three points:
    -- Make sure all setup packages are not missing, you can use .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full install package .

-- In case that the target is a non-English OS, you can do one of the following bullet:
    • Run .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup with the /lang switch and pass in the value ENU to prevent it from attempting to install any language packs. 
      This is described in item 1 in this blog post (same as .NET 3.5 SP1).
    • Download the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language packs that could be needed in your environments and copy them into your installable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 layout. 
      You can find download locations for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language packs at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8489ed13-b831-4855-96f7-dd35e4c02a20 and instructions regarding where to copy them in your .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installable layout in item 2 in this blog post (same as .NET 3.5 SP1).

Warning: also be aware of a known issue described in .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Readme:

2.1.4 .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language pack fails to install on Windows 2008 Server

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language pack fails to install on Windows 2008 Server if the matching operating system language pack is not installed.
      To resolve this issue:
      Install the matching operating system language pack before you install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.  You can obtain the operating system language pack from http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9f6f200-cfaf-4516-8e96-e4d4750397ff&displaylang=en .

-- It may check for a new version of setup:

In order to avoid having .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup connect to the Internet to search for an updated version of itself, you must do the following:

1. Create an installable layout from .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full install package
    2. Go to the folder that you extracted the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup files to, find the file named dotnetfx35setup.exe and run dotnetfx35setup.exe /x to unpack it
    3. When prompted, choose to unpack it to the same folder it is currently located in
    4. Instead of using the file dotnetfx35setup.exe to start installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, use the file setup.exe in the unpacked location.  This will cause setup to run without the /web switch and skip the step of connecting to the Internet to search for a new copy of setup.  The setup.exe file takes the same command line parameters as dotnetfx35setup.exe (such as the /q and /norestart switches for silent installation).

If still anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by Figo Fei Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason Dragon Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:58 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason

Fortunately, Aaron Stebner has blogged Scenarios where .NET Framework 3.5 setup tries to connect to the Internet and how to avoid them .
    Although it is talking about .NET 3.5, most parts also apply to .NET 3.5 SP1 deployment.

In three points:
    -- Make sure all setup packages are not missing, you can use .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full install package .

-- In case that the target is a non-English OS, you can do one of the following bullet:
    • Run .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup with the /lang switch and pass in the value ENU to prevent it from attempting to install any language packs. 
      This is described in item 1 in this blog post (same as .NET 3.5 SP1).
    • Download the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language packs that could be needed in your environments and copy them into your installable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 layout. 
      You can find download locations for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language packs at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8489ed13-b831-4855-96f7-dd35e4c02a20 and instructions regarding where to copy them in your .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installable layout in item 2 in this blog post (same as .NET 3.5 SP1).

Warning: also be aware of a known issue described in .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Readme:

2.1.4 .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language pack fails to install on Windows 2008 Server

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 language pack fails to install on Windows 2008 Server if the matching operating system language pack is not installed.
      To resolve this issue:
      Install the matching operating system language pack before you install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.  You can obtain the operating system language pack from http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9f6f200-cfaf-4516-8e96-e4d4750397ff&displaylang=en .

-- It may check for a new version of setup:

In order to avoid having .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup connect to the Internet to search for an updated version of itself, you must do the following:

1. Create an installable layout from .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full install package
    2. Go to the folder that you extracted the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup files to, find the file named dotnetfx35setup.exe and run dotnetfx35setup.exe /x to unpack it
    3. When prompted, choose to unpack it to the same folder it is currently located in
    4. Instead of using the file dotnetfx35setup.exe to start installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, use the file setup.exe in the unpacked location.  This will cause setup to run without the /web switch and skip the step of connecting to the Internet to search for a new copy of setup.  The setup.exe file takes the same command line parameters as dotnetfx35setup.exe (such as the /q and /norestart switches for silent installation).

If still anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by Figo Fei Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason Dragon Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:58 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Thank you! The last part worked for me.

Expanding the installer:
         dotnetfx35.exe /x
         wcu/dotNetFramework/dotNetFx35setup.exe /x
    then running:
         wcu/dotNetFramework/setup.exe /qb /norestart
    allowed the framework to be installed and avoided a dialer window from being raised.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:07 PM
  • You're welcome, Jason.
    Have a nice day!
    Friday, August 7, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Any ideas how to create an installable layout because all the commands I have seen no longer work. I am wondering if this is no longer possible..

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:27 PM