Sharepoint 2010 add/edit form: Insert link from sharepoint disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a list with enhanced rich textbox field. I can click on Insert link, "from addres" is enabled, but "from Sharepoint" is disabled.

Is there a reason why is this button disabled? Field is enhanced rich textbox... Paste button is also disabled.

Thanks

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:05 AM

Answers

• HI!

The soultion is here. It is not available in enhanced rich text but it is in Publishing HTML. Change your column type to Publishing html and it will work.

Armin

• Marked as answer by armin3 Monday, October 25, 2010 8:39 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• Yes even I am finding "from Sharepoint" is disabled for insert link and picture. Paste is not disabled though.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Paste is enabled at my site now also. But link, picture from sharepoint is not...
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Ever find a solution?
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Hello,

You need to activate the "SharePoint Server Publishing" feature on your site.

Goto Site Settings -> Site Actions - Manage Site Features - SharePoint Server Publishing - ACTIVATE

This should fix your problem.  The functionality of both "Insert Picture from SharePoint" and "Insert Link from SharePoint" requires the above mentioned feature activation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Kamlesh for your answer.

I have the feature enabled, and this makes the functionality available for use in wiki pages etc.
    But what about the use in fields, like e.g. a enhanced rich textbox field, as stated above?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

We're currently having the same problem here after a migration from Sharepoint 2007 to 2010.

The main site is a publishing site with two subsites as normal blank sites.

When using the Content editor webpart in the subsites, it's now impossible to use the Insert Link from Sharepoint control. This only works if the subsite is a publishing site as well.

Note that this used to work in Sharepoint 2007, it's a mystery to me why this has changed, unless it's 'a new feature'.

Is there any way to get this working again without converting all the subsites to publishing sites (if this is possible at all, I'm afraid this won't work).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi all,

We are currently suffering the same problem. In a list item with a custom column type: 'Enhanced rich text (Rich text with pictures, tables, and hyperlinks)', we are unable to insert pictures or links from Sharepoint but can insert pictures & links from the local machine or from URL's.

We do have the publishing option turned on and we are able to use this functionality in other areas such as pages, it just seems unavailable in the list items.

It is currently hindering rolling out several updates to our intranet and generally being very boring.

Any ideas? All assistance greatly appreciated.

Matt

Monday, October 18, 2010 12:46 PM
  • HI!

The soultion is here. It is not available in enhanced rich text but it is in Publishing HTML. Change your column type to Publishing html and it will work.

Armin

• Marked as answer by armin3 Monday, October 25, 2010 8:39 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Using a publishing HTML column type makes the links to sharepoint option work, but I lost the note 'view' to enter my data.
    I want to insert a complete text, not just one line.
    "SPRichTextMode.HtmlAsXml and SPRichTextMode.ThemeHtml is not supported by SPFieldMultiLineText.  To support this mode, please use a derived field type."

I continued testing and found that when a column of type HTML is added to the form, the other normal Enhanced richt text columns work as expected.
    Any clues on how this is triggered?

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:11 AM
  • I pasted multiline text with no problems...

I have no idea how it's triggers. Sharepoint is buggy :)

Monday, October 25, 2010 10:12 AM
  •  

Seems the whole 2010 suite is buggy if you ask me. Frequent problems with Office, Sharepoint, Exchange, ....

Next time I'll wait till a first service pack arrives before upgrading.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Did not work for me.

I tried both, Rich Text and Enhanced Rich Text fields.

Got publishing option enabled in site settings.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hi Sash!

Try Publishing HTML. It works.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Html columns doesn't work with infopath 2010...

Anybody has a solution with richtextfield ?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I consider it a bug that the Rich Text Editor column type doesn't allow for picking pictures from SharePoint, but the fix is as mentioned below but needs a bit more explanation.

Although you definitely need SharePoint Server Publishing, but when creating/modifying your List, instead of creating a new column of type Multi-line we should instead Add From Site Columns and pick the Publishing Content one.  This will add in the features that will allow for picking items from SharePoint.

Another 'undocumented feature' that keeps us in demand.

• Proposed as answer by Sjokke Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:21 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I consider it a bug that the Rich Text Editor column type doesn't allow for picking pictures from SharePoint, but the fix is as mentioned below but needs a bit more explanation.

Although you definitely need SharePoint Server Publishing, but when creating/modifying your List, instead of creating a new column of type Multi-line we should instead Add From Site Columns and pick the Publishing Content one.  This will add in the features that will allow for picking items from SharePoint.

Another 'undocumented feature' that keeps us in demand.

It's not a bug, it's by design. You may not like the design, but that's what it is. Use a Publishing HTML type column and you'll get the Insert from SharePoint action available.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:22 PM
  • If the "From SharePoint" option for Mulitline fields that allow links was never intended to be used then it should be hidden and not work sometimes in some situations but not in others. Seems like a design flaw to me. Gray out stuff for permissions, ok, but gray out the option in this case creates confusion. I can't see any reason why I would not be allowed to browse the site to select a link if I have permissions to do so.

To get this to work I enabled the Publishing feature and added one Publishing HTML column to my list. Note that a PubHTML column cannot be a list column as that type is not available, they must be site columns. With that one column added, all multiline columns in the list have the "From SharePoint" option available.

Thus, if you already have data in your list or don't want to create new PubHTML columns, and you want this functionality, you can enable Publishing feature and add the one column then the option will become available. Note that this is per list so if you have multiple lists then you must add the column to every list where you want the functionality enabled.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Arknev Monday, January 9, 2012 2:20 PM
    • Edited by Arknev Monday, January 9, 2012 2:21 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I need this functionality in a blog for the body column in the posts list. The workaround with a Publishing HTML type column works at a system without SP1 and also for for a simple list.  On a system with SP1 installed it don't work for the posts list in a blog - the "Insert from sharepoint" link is missing (not disabled). Is this a bug or a feature?

However - I need this functionality - Is there another solution available?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:51 PM
  • I need this functionality in a blog for the body column in the posts list. The workaround with a Publishing HTML type column works at a system without SP1 and also for for a simple list.  On a system with SP1 installed it don't work for the posts list in a blog - the "Insert from sharepoint" link is missing (not disabled). Is this a bug or a feature?

However - I need this functionality - Is there another solution available?

I also have SP2010 with SP1 installed, and also have this problem in the post lists.

Any solutions?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:15 PM
  • I have an already existing list with one Mulitline field,in that field in Inserting Picture "from SharePoint" option was not there(which is required by business).

I followed the steps mentioned above i.e Checked "SharePoint Server Publishing" feature at site level,its already activated then created site column of type "Publishing HTML"

Then first created one test list,one multiline field "From Sharepoint: option was enabled then i inserted the silte column in list it worked.

But when i follow the same process in existing list no "From Sharepoint" is available.

If anyone having idea when "From Sharepoint" option is enabled and when this is not available on field. Its URGENT please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

• Proposed as answer by amigooo.net Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by amigooo.net Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:28 AM
  • hello community - still no ideas?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:07 AM
  • These content types:

• Enterprise Wiki
    • Publishing Page

Allow "Insert from Sharepoint" because the content field is of type "Publishing HTML"

These content types:

• Wiki
    • Blog

Don't have the "Insert from Sharepoint" action, because the content field is of type "Multiple lines of text"

You can only use the Insert from SharePoint action when the field is a Publishing HTML type.

See Insert picture from sharepoint disabled in editor field

• Proposed as answer by cpo-lombard Friday, June 1, 2012 9:18 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Microsoft says it is an issue but you can check design this strange behavior on other occasions:

If we have a Web page in the root of the site and insert a Web Part content "from SharePoint" will disabled, but if this same Web Part Page is in a library "from SharePoint" is enabled What is the difference? I do not know.

Worse. If we insert the Web Part to a page in the root of the site is a list or library that has a link produced by a workflow, an error as seen in
    http://www.danielroot.info/2010_07_01_archive.html
    But the link works correctly if the page is within a library.
    Are these design issues also?

Sorry for my English.

Soy Miguel de Torre Arias

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:59 AM
  • this is an old thread but I just came across this problem myself, no solution here worked..

The reason, if you are using InfoPath forms, which you probably are when using Rich Text content fields anyways, for News pages and the like, it will not work because InfoPath does not allow the Publishing content type.  Here's the workaround:

• Add a dummy field for Publishing HTML or Publishing Image if one isn’t already in the list.  Make the field not visible in the default view.
    • Create the InfoPath form and default it to “Display View”.
    • In Site Settings, List and Library Settings, Form Settings, select “Use the default SharePoint form.
    • In SharePoint designer, load the list, in the “Forms” section, set “displayifs.aspx” as the default by highlighting it, and clicking Set as Default on the ribbon.

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:31 PM