none
Basic questions (Setting up an image for an Intel atom E600), please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Everyone,

I am new to CE development and have a number of questions that I would really appreciate if someone would take some time to answer.

Background:

I have a small Atom E600 series PC intended for industrial automation that I would like to use with Windows CE. The PC has a VGA port, USB, 2 net ports, 3 serial ports, a harddriver and so on. I have managed to install freedos on the harddrive and use LOADCEPC to boot an image that I've either copied using the serial link (via Visual Studio) or copied to the disk manually. Windows CE crashes or stalls at some point (no picture!).

Question 1:

Initially, I thought that the Atom PC was just "a PC" and that I could use the CEPC BSP. Later, I found that there was a specific Atom E600 BSP available which I am using now. Do I need to use the specialized BSP or should I be able to treat it as "just another pc"?

Question 2:

The netcard on the PC is not NE2000 compatible so I am unable to connect to Visual Studio via eboot.bin. Things works fine with the serial link but transfering the image is too slow (30 min+). If I copy the image to the disk manually, however, I seem to be unable to attach the debugger (VS stalls, waiting for connection). How do I connect the debugger without transfering the image?

Question 3:

Using the BSP for the Atom I am able to get the network adator running. An IP is assigned and I can ping it from the my workstation. If KITL is enabled it CE halts shortly after with the message "Connecting to desktop". I figure that I need to something on the workstation in order to hook up the KITL connection but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Question 4:

If I disable KITL I am able to get further in the boot process. At some point the boot halts with the error message originating from the display drivers of the Atom BSP. Are there any general directions or "tips and tricks" for diagnosing and fixing such errors? I have not had that much luck with google ..

Thank you!

PBS

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:22 AM

All replies

• 1. Does the device run Windows XP as an option? If so, yes you can treat it either as a CEPC or use your special BSP. If not, you should probably assume that it's not a PC. Generally, a specific BSP will give you the ability to do more and to do it more the way you'd like than CEPC does. If this is a "school project" or "proof of concept" project, CEPC is probably easier. If you're actually building a new device and plan to make a product out of it, use the specific BSP.

2. You haven't told us what version of Windows CE you're trying to use, but the Target Settings generally control whether you download the OS image or just connect to the kernel debugger over serial.

3. Specific to the BSP. Read the documentation.

4. Make sure you're using a display panel or device with a resolution that matches how the operating system and display driver are configured. That is, don't plug in some random LCD panel and expect it to work. Use the hardware that the OS is expecting. Beyond that, we'd probably need to see the serial debug messages...

Paul T.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:06 PM