Issues with the News Metro App

General discussion

• First of all, I would like to tell that I have been gradually but surely transformed into an admirer of Metro Style UI. The apps located there are very intuitive, and just pleasing to use.

That said, this being a developer release of the OS, I am sure you would be interested in feedback, and I would like to list a few peeves of mine.

The News App

Good:

1. Easy to add feeds and a good use of screen real estate. I like that there is so much of screen space that applications can use.

2. Very pleasing layout.

Bad:

1. No support for mouse scroll in Add Feeds

2. No support for mouse scroll in Headlines section. The mouse scroll is supported when viewing the feed content.

3. I cannot find, search as I may, any place I can remove a feed. This is just wrong. I accidentally added a feed, and I am stuck with it. If the feature is present, it his definitely hidden pretty well.

4. I would expect to be able to mark a feed item as read. I don't see an option anywhere. There only is an option to "Remove All" with a warning all will be lost. Does it remove all feed subscriptions? Does it remove all feed items? I only know I should keep away from it.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:32 AM

All replies

• Yeah. I have to say I am looking forward to the beta version. Surely then the store will become active and we will see lots of new / updated apps...
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:48 PM
  • 1. No support for mouse scroll in Add Feeds

Do you have a wheel?  Tip:  Make Wheel click = Middleclick.

2. No support for mouse scroll in Headlines section. The mouse scroll is supported when viewing the feed content.

I get a tile at the bottom right labeled See more.   Clicking on that gives a few inches of horizontal scrollbar which I can click on (or drag the slider).   In addition my Middleclick works there too.

BTW I think the colors of the scrollbar should be reversed.   E.g. dark for where you are, light for where else you can go.   The colors do reverse when you drag the slider but I think I would prefer some other effect than what we see now for that.

3. I cannot find, search as I may, any place I can remove a feed.

I may be missing your point but in Add feeds when I select a feed which I added I see a box with an X at the top.   Clicking the X removes the feed.

4. I would expect to be able to mark a feed item as read. I don't see an option anywhere. There only is an option to "Remove All" with a warning all will be lost. Does it remove all feed subscriptions? Does it remove all feed items? I only know I should keep away from it.

Seems to just remove the ones that you have added.   I didn't end up with a blank slate if that's what you were worried about.    ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:13 PM