becoming an architect - please help RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have worked on couple of .Net related projects ie asp.net;sharepoint

I aspire to become an architect in .Net and related technologies

I dont find any equivalent like  SCEA(Sun certified Enterprise architect)

which sun gives for J2ee technologies with Microsoft and .Net technologies

The MCA ( Microsoft Certified Architect ) program is not detailed much

in microsoft site as for its pre-requisites;costs and things

But I found out from other sites that it is a very costly certification

Can anybody please throw more light on architechture certifications

given by microsoft with complete details ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:39 PM

All replies

• I recommend before certification start acquiring skills required to be an architect.

some of them listed here

http://dotnetwithme.blogspot.com/2007/02/skills-of-solution-architect.html

vikas

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:14 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the link

It is very useful

Iam aspiring to have a certification for proving myself as a Microsoft  architect

I have 7.5 years of IT experience

which is the best certification I can aim at ?

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

Good to see people interested to be certified architects.....

But Just a question? why you just want to be a Microsoft Certified Architect? Or SUN or IBM?

I would suggest you to try to be a solution architect ? you may still project your technology depth into .NET technology or Java or Main Frames

I went to the above link...seems good...those are some of the areas that you would need test your self for MCA but with regard to MCA one need to have minimum criteria of 10 Years IT and 2 years as Solution Architect.

Before that you can pursue a programe called ASAP(Aspiring Software Architect Program) delivered by Microsoft India via Web Casts. I'm not sure this is available at other places. But I think you can search for this at Microsoft site and download this web casts and build basic knowledge about solution architecture in general.

With regard to MCA - it is very tough program. One need to take enough time to prepare for this. This is not an exam type but more of real interview where a board verifies candidate experience & knowledge in detail. But to my knowledge till date this is the certification to claim one self as a certified architect - (Solutions)

You can mail me for more details. I may be a help to you.

Thanks & Regards

Murty Eranki

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:22 PM
  • not an outline of the MCA but a good resource for architectural knowledge and education is IASA. Take a look a the training part.
    Happy learning ;-)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:53 PM
  • thanks for the reply
    Do you chat in any ids like gmail/yahoo messenger
    If so I would like to chat with you
    Regards
    Ramki
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:57 AM
  • Also take a look at the IASA Architecture Skills library http://www.iasahome.org/web/home/skillset

Arnon

Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:06 PM
  • sorry for my delayed reply. I dont chat generally.

but I'm fine to chat if you can specify a timing. pls note my id as erankism@yahoo.com or you can mail me.

Yes i do agree IASA would be the right place to find Architecture related info as Microsoft was the official sponcer for IASA india.

recently IASA conducted a Webinar on Measuring and Improving Architecture Competence by Dr. Paul Clements

Event ID: 1032334843

Thanks

Murty Eranki

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Have we got some help for you...

First off - we have a show called "ARCast" on Channel 9 where I talk with architects around the world.  You can find ARCast Radio at http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/ARCast_with_Ron_Jacobs

Then we also have ARCast.TV available now on Channel 9 as well at http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/ARCast.TV

We do have a number of shows designed to help someone just like yourself.

First about the MCA program

ARCast - Microsoft Certified Architect Program

Then some training episodes of ARCast.TV (on our old site - they are moving to C9 soon)

ARCast.TV - Training - Architect As Explorer - Topanga

ARCast.TV - Training - Architect as Advocate

ARCast.TV - Training - Architect as Designer

And of course we have much more at http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:53 PM
  •  

I think you need to be strong on overall design and detailed design best practices. Excellent knowledge of  data structures and design patterns is extremely helpful. You need to master the de facto modeling tools such as Rational Rose UML, where you  can create static and dynamic views of the the product internals, and also it helps you understand and develop the 4+1 views.

Obtaining architect certificate does not mean you will be good architect. It is good to obtain Microsoft certificates, but the bottom line you need to master what you do. Passing exam requires less skills and experience than doing the job. I think the architecture term is still developing.

I encourage you to be involve in all phases of Software Development Life cycle, and decide what type of architecture you want to master e.g application architect, information architect .etc

I wish you the best, but love the architecture work before looking to be certified.

Best wishes,

Prof. Maher Dahdour

Friday, April 6, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

As the architect role is independant of technology in an ideal world, you could look into the topics of the SCEA and investigate a Microsoft equivalent. This will help you cover the information but unfortunately won't give you a qualification.

I certainly hope that Microsoft are reading your thread - the SCEA and related qualifications are respected and also supported by exam preparation books. I would like to see something similar in the Microsoft arena.

Jason

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Greeting,

In the real world no one will come offer to become software arhitect . You need make an opportunity and prove yourself.

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:34 AM