32 bit functionality gone in x64 OS RRS feed

• Question

• Ok here we go: This may end up being the third time I have to reinstall Vista x64 OS

All 32 bit programs refuse to run. IE7,Outlook,Counter spy, anything that runs in a 32 bit enviorment. I can access the internet with the 64 bit version of IE 7 but not the 32 bit version. I can access the internet with the 64 bit version of Firefox.

Its like I have blown out all 32 bit services in Vista x64

Can someone help me. I really don't want to reinstall everything again. I may just go back to Vista x86 

Friday, January 19, 2007 5:38 AM

Answers

• If you have system restore enabled you can go back a couple of days and restore your your system.

If not; the only way I know of is to reinstall your OS.

Its sucks big time. I have not seen Microsoft step up and figure out a patch.  

I have system restore on becuse I still don't trust Vista x64

Jim

Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:58 AM

All replies

• I am having this exact same problem.

I am not running the nvidia firewall.

Can anyone please help?

Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:13 AM
  • If you have system restore enabled you can go back a couple of days and restore your your system.

If not; the only way I know of is to reinstall your OS.

Its sucks big time. I have not seen Microsoft step up and figure out a patch.  

I have system restore on becuse I still don't trust Vista x64

Jim

Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:58 AM
  • The 32 bit apps must access the internet by using a different path than the 64 bit apps.

Somehow the 32 bit internet path is broken, while the 64 bit path remains working properly.

I am sure a solution can be found.

Meanwhile, apparently reinstalling Vista is the only current alternative since I did not discover the problem in time to use

System Restore.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I am getting the same issue. I had it before with Nvidia firewall but ditched it and all worked well again. Now for some reason my connection witrh 32bit Apps is dead. 64bit IE is fine. I am vv frustrated.

Please reply to davidholford@btinternet.com if any help is available. I have already done a system restore and repaired OS from Vista dvd.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:08 PM
  •  

WHICH ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE ARE YOU USING?

Jim

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:20 PM