Difference in Control Type observed between Windows 7 vs [Windows 8.1/Windows 10] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a VB6 application on which we automated tests using UI automation.

The tests which used to run successfully on Windows7 started failing on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    We found that controls with class name ThunderRT6Frame which used to have Control Type as Pane are seen to be as Group on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    We are completely blocked in our testing efforts.
    Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Archana

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Archana,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me where did you record these tests?

>>The tests which used to run successfully on Windows7 started failing on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

If the test can be ran successfully on windows 7 but failed on windows 8.1 and 10. I suppose the cause is that the recording hierarchy of the application in windows 8.1 and the 10 is changed.

One idea is that you need to re-record the test in windows 8.1 and windwos 10 again.

By the way, if run the re-record tests and still fails. Please provide us the detailed error messages to us so that we could better troubleshoot the issue.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake Xiao Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Hello Lake,

These tests were recorded on Windows 7 and we do not see any change in hierarchy.
    The only change till now seen is Control Type is Group which used to be pane for ThunderRT6Frame control .

We have a good number of test scripts which are impacted .Re-recording will be a huge effort.

Do let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
    Archana

Archana Pradhan

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Hi Archana Pradhan,

Thanks for your response.

>>The only change till now seen is Control Type is Group which used to be pane for ThunderRT6Frame control .

If the control type is changed, I think it wil affect the search property of the control which is defined before.

So you may need to change the search property of the control one by one. It will cause more effort than re=record the tests.

So if possible, I still suggest you'd better re-record the test again.

By the way, please share us the detailed error messages you got when running the tests.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:11 AM
  • Hello Lake,

We are aware that search properties are affected and as the control is not found with same properties our tests are failing.

We can not rerecord the tests as we will have to maintain two different AUTs "One which runs on Win7 and Other in Windows 8.1/10" .

We just want to understand why there is a change in "Control Type" of ThunderRT6Frame controls ?

Regards,
    Archana

Archana Pradhan

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Hi Archana,

Is the tested project a Windows default program or your custom develop application?

If it is a default Windows program, it should be caused by the implement for this program. As far as I know, the programs on Windows 10 are all Windows app, but in Windows 7, they are normal desktop application. So if you test the same problem in different version of Windows, the ControlType should be changed.

But if it is a custom developing application, I create a sample Coded UI Test with a custom HtmlTable class which ControlType is Table. When I test it in both of my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine, the ControlType are return as Table, which is not changed in different version of Windows.

So I suggest you contact the application developer to confirm whether they change the implement way for that Control when developing.

If possible, please provide some code snippet about your ThunderRT6Frame controls and I will try test it in my side to reproduce your problem, which is benefit to us find out what happened for this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Weiwei Cai Monday, May 23, 2016 9:36 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Hi Archana

Could you try removing the "Control Type=Pane" Search Property and adding the Filter Properties "Control Type=Pane" and "Control Type=Group".  This should make the test work properly on Windows 7, 8 & 10.

HTH

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:48 AM
  • Hi Ian,

Is Filter Properties considered for Desktop applications?

Regards,

Archana

Archana Pradhan

Friday, May 27, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

Ours is a desktop application.If you can share your email address I will send a sample application that has ThunderRT6Frame control.

Thanks for the help.

Archana.

Archana Pradhan

Friday, May 27, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Filter properties are only called on if the search properties match multiple controls filter properties are then employed to narrow the list of controls until only one is found.  I see this a lot with cross browser testing where often attributes (usually class) are presented differently for IE, FireFox & Chrome.

I seem to recall there might be a limitation in either UIA or MSAA (Can't remember which way around) that one of them only supports Search Properties.

Friday, May 27, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Thanks for Ian's help.

Hi Archana Pradhan,

The default:

1. Search for Web controls: Both SearchProperties and Filter Properties are supported.

2. Search for Winforms, Wpf controls: Only SearchProperties are supported.

So if your app doesn't support the filter properties, my suggestion is that you'd better change the search property manually in your code. Maybe you could use other unique property as the search property, or change this control type.

As you said that there are so many test scripts, maybe you could use the Find and replace tool in your VS IDE, and then change them easily.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:40 AM