VS 2017 won't run in Win10 unless I run it as administrator RRS feed

• Question

• After rebooting this morning, now I can run Visual Studio 1017 (v15.7.4) and SSMS (v17.7) only if I run them as administrator.  Prior to this, I could run them with a simple open.  Why is this happening and what can I do to not have to run them as administrator?

Hello

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:06 PM

Answers

• "Won't run" means that the application does not run.  Period.  No error message is displayed.  A waiting cursor appears for a few seconds and then goes away.  Nothing else happens.  No tile appears in the taskbar, no splash screen appears, no message is displayed.

In the absence of an explanation such as this saying "won't run" is too vague. Those of us that try to help others are constantly seeing that type of thing so it can easily get us frustrated. I am sure you understand frustration; it is the feeling you are having.

How do I run VS in safe mode?  I'm not familiar with this.

It is an option, see -SafeMode (devenv.exe).

I did not install any VS extensions.  I did not "mess with" any VS files.  I simply tried to fire up VS as I do every day in order to do my development, and today it did not work.

Note that we must ask questions such as I asked. If something you did is the cause then it could waste much time trying to figure it out. But when I asked if you made changes the previous day, I meant the previous day, not the day you encountered the problem. Please calm down and listen to what we say.

As best as I can tell, you have not followed my suggestion to look at the system events. Paul is making that suggestion too I assume.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by harleygnuya Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please check the current has full control for visual studio 2017.

Besides, did you make changes in your computer?

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Your title says "won't run in Win10 unless I run it as administrator" but the body of the question does not provide that information. Please don't require us to look at the title to understand the question.

What does "won't run" mean? What is the error message?

Did you install a VS extension yesterday? If so then it is a likely cause. If you are unsure of whether an extension is a problem then (for diagnostic purposes only) run VS in safe mode and if the problem exists then you know the cause is an extension.

Were you messing with VS files yesterday? If so then it is likely you did something that caused the security issue. We know nothing about what you did so we can't help much if that is the problem. I don't know where to look in the events viewer but if VS is encountering a security exception then there will be something in the events about that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Thanks, Joyce.  I checked as you advised and all permissions are set for Administrators group.  The account I'm logged in as is in that group.  It is also the only account set up on my machine.

To be honest, I don't know what, if any, changes might have been made to my computer prior to rebooting, as I rebooted in response to a message from my HP Support Assistant that stated that it needed to reboot my computer.  My experience has been in the past that this might have been requested because it made some changes or had an update it needed to apply.  Unfortunately, this occurred in the middle of the night, so I responded "Yes" and went back to bed, so I don't know if any changes were actually applied.

Additional information:  Since my original post, I have restored my computer to a point prior to this happening, but the problem still exists - I can't run either SSMS or VS unless I run them as administrator.

Hello

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:46 PM
  • Sam,

"Won't run" means that the application does not run.  Period.  No error message is displayed.  A waiting cursor appears for a few seconds and then goes away.  Nothing else happens.  No tile appears in the taskbar, no splash screen appears, no message is displayed.

Specifically, I went to the Start Menu and clicked on Visual Studio 2017 and got the response indicated above.  I then went to the Start Menu, right clicked on Visual Studio 2017, clicked on More and then Run as Administrator.  The warning box about allowing the app to make changes to this device was displayed and I clicked on Yes, and then VS opened and ran normally.

I did not install any VS extensions.  I did not "mess with" any VS files.  I simply tried to fire up VS as I do every day in order to do my development, and today it did not work.  Please see my response to Joyce for additional information.

More information, if it might be of any help:  The same thing is happening with SSMS.  All other applications that I normally use, including Office apps, run normally, just as they always have.

I wish I could tell you more, but this is all I'm working with, too.  That is why I've come to the forum, to ask if anyone out there has any suggestions as to things I might check or ideas as to how I can chase this down.

Hello

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Have you tried deleting (or removing from the folder) the privateregistry.bin file for the user. You should find it in the below folder:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_0b517960

When this file becomes corrupt it can prevent Visual Studio from running.

If this does not work you may need to check the Windows Event Log to see if there are any messages that identify what the problem may be.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:41 PM
  • "Won't run" means that the application does not run.  Period.  No error message is displayed.  A waiting cursor appears for a few seconds and then goes away.  Nothing else happens.  No tile appears in the taskbar, no splash screen appears, no message is displayed.

In the absence of an explanation such as this saying "won't run" is too vague. Those of us that try to help others are constantly seeing that type of thing so it can easily get us frustrated. I am sure you understand frustration; it is the feeling you are having.

It is an option, see -SafeMode (devenv.exe).

I did not install any VS extensions.  I did not "mess with" any VS files.  I simply tried to fire up VS as I do every day in order to do my development, and today it did not work.

Note that we must ask questions such as I asked. If something you did is the cause then it could waste much time trying to figure it out. But when I asked if you made changes the previous day, I meant the previous day, not the day you encountered the problem. Please calm down and listen to what we say.

As best as I can tell, you have not followed my suggestion to look at the system events. Paul is making that suggestion too I assume.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by harleygnuya Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Thanks, Paul.  There appear to be two VS 15.0_nnnnnnnn folders, which I assume are for different releases.  Which privateregistry.bin file should I delete?  At the moment, though, I think I want to hold off on this until I've resolved what I'm going to respond to Sam about in a minute.

Hello

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:46 PM
  • Thanks, Sam.  Sorry if my initial info was vague, but I was not working with much here.  I apologize.  Sometimes it's best to just "put it out there" and wait to see what specific questions might be raised.

I tried safe mode, but still had the problem, so it appears it's happening even before it gets there.

The suggestion about the event logs did reveal an interesting lead, I think.  First time I've ever worked with them, so I hope I did the right thing and am reading them correctly.

I opened the Event Viewer, then went to Windows Logs->Application and attempted to start VS normally.  The log revealed the following:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 15.7.27703.2035, time stamp: 0x5b232892
    Faulting module name: SuperShieldHookCpy32.dll, version: 3.0.4.0, time stamp: 0x5b2e59c3
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x0001ed17
    Faulting process id: 0xc94
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d40d95c054e729
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCPitstop\Super Shield\SuperShieldHookCpy32.dll
    Report Id: a8c3b63e-d370-4b4e-9c65-8ce1157420ec
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The clue here is SuperShieldHookCpy32.dll.  I have PCMatic installed on this machine and have SuperShield enabled.  I disabled SuperShield and tried to run VS normally and it fired up just fine.  So, my assumption right now is that something isn't working right with SuperShield and not VS.  Up until yesterday, it had been working just fine.  I have no idea what may have done this, but that is something I'll take up with PC Pitstop.

Your suggestion to look at the event logs was a good one and gave me the hint I needed.  For the moment, though, I'm going to hold off marking your response as the answer until I finish chasing this down with PC Pitstop and verify that this is really what's happening.

Thanks

Hello

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:07 PM
  • Sounds good. I hope the problem has been discovered and usually solutions are easy once we have discovered the cause.

The way the event viewer works is that it is a utility to view event messages. People often use misleading terminology; often the event viewer is referred to as if it is the important part. The system events is not much more than a place for software to log messages. So instead of bothering the user who is usually non-technical and does not care about a bunch of technical messages, software can write (log) diagnostic information for use later. So it is not necessary to execute the viewer at the time that an event happens; you can execute the viewer later.

There are also a security events and security failures are usually logged there. That is another place to look for problems such as this. You might look to see what is there now just so you are familiar with it.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:02 PM
  • PCMatic has identified a bug in their software and is engaged, so I'm going to mark your reply as the answer.  Thanks for your help.

Hello

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:44 PM