none
Corrupted field codes when track changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am not sure whether this is a mirosoft bug or is it the way I am doing is wrong. I had a self created field code which is perfectly fine.

The issue came when I had this field code been inserted as track change, it is still fine now even after I do a F9 (field code update). After I saved the word file and reopen it, now you go and press F9, the field code get corrupted !

I had attached 2 files here. Steps to reproduce are as follow:
    1. Turn on track changes in word
    2. Insert the below field code into your word document.

3. Do a update field code (F9), now save and close the document.
    4. Reopen the document, now do a update field code (F9), there you would see corrupted field codes.

Why??

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken

It's not possible to attach files to forum posts...

Your question actually would be better asked on the Answers site, where you'll find Word people who specialize in field codes. I concede the "development" line isn't hard-and-fast when it comes to Word fields :-) But you'll find a lot more folks who work with these on a regular basis at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

When you post, be sure to mention the version of Word involved. I seem to recall there are one or two that have this problem with fields, but details don't come to mind - I've been away from end-user support too long...

As best I can remember, in those versions the best approach is to lock the fields while track changes is on. When you want to update, turn track changes off, unlock the fields, update, lock them again and reactivate track changes.

Lock field codes: Ctrl+A (select all text), Ctrl+F11
    Unlock: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Shift+F11
    Toggle track changes: Ctrl+Shift+E

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi Ken1985,

I reproduced this issue on my side. There is no such issue. I used Word2010. Which Word edition do you use? Could you please provide more information? In addition, if you want to attach files on this forum, please upload the files to your SkyDrive and share the link here. So we could download and reproduce the scenario on our side.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:27 AM