none
Trying to sync email with my MySQL database RRS feed

• Question

• We have a contact form on our website that gets requests for product sheets from potential customers and sends an email to the Business Dev team to respond to them with the product sheets they requested.

I'm building an internal application to manage those requests and send alerts/emails to the Business Dev team if a request hasn't been responded to in 1 day, 2 days, etc. This application is hosted in house using wamp (I'd like this to only be accessible if you're on our network)

These product request emails that get sent to the business dev team go to a certain folder in my outlook, is there any programing functions that allow Outlook to send/sync with a locally hosted MySQL database? I want to pull in a few items from the emails into the database table fields.

Thanks!

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Alexander,

If you develop a VSTO based add-in you are free to use any .Net components for connecting to the MySQL database. You are free to use ADO.NET classes.

However, be aware, the Considerations for server-side Automation of Office article states the following:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know, maybe I'd just be better off hosting this application on a sub domain of the corporate website and saving the contact form submissions to a database that the application pulls data from.

Thanks again

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Alexander,

Note, the current forum is for Outlook-related programming questions and issues. I'd recommend asking web-related questions on the Visual C# or http://forums.asp.net/ forums.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Hi Alex,

>> is there any programing functions that allow Outlook to send/sync with a locally hosted MySQL database? I want to pull in a few items from the emails into the database table fields.<<

As far as I know, there is no such method we can use directly to achieve the goal. But we can save the mail item to the database when we received it.

Here is a article for your reference:

How to: Programmatically Perform Actions When an E-Mail Message Is Received

And you can get more detail about mail item from link below:
    MailItem Object

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 29, 2014 3:00 AM