Suddenly got windows on windows! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have been happily building my program, but suddenly i have one windows controls partialy apearing on one of my other windows!  Im sure i have somehow draged and droped a copy on to this othe window, but cant figure out how to sort it out..can anyone sugest what i may have done and how to remove the mess?  If i try to click on the controls a padlock appears..i cant seem to do anything with it..

steve

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you have used visual form inheritance.  If  you create a form with some controls on it and then create another form using visual form inheritance, the new form inherits the controls of the parent form, but  you cannot change them or move them on the new form.

I'm not sure how  you would do such a thing unintentionally though, if indeed, that was what happened.

• Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:42 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:38 PM

All replies

• Check to see if the control is locked .

Coding4fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Please format the code in your posts with the button . Makes it easier to read . Or use the Forum Code Formatter by JohnWein http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/bf977a14-d9d4-4e84-9784-bf76b9e23261
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:46 PM
  • No the controls arent locked, see screen dump at http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac60/BigHairyBloke/Untitled.jpg

All the controls and labels with the little arrows on are from a different window...most odd!

Thanks

Steve

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:00 AM
  • It sounds like you have used visual form inheritance.  If  you create a form with some controls on it and then create another form using visual form inheritance, the new form inherits the controls of the parent form, but  you cannot change them or move them on the new form.

I'm not sure how  you would do such a thing unintentionally though, if indeed, that was what happened.

• Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:42 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:38 PM
  • You were right chris!  Noobies eh?!

Steve

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:13 AM