When I uploaded my files in EW 4, it deleted the files on the server. RRS feed

• Question

• I normally use an ftp program separately from EW but when I upgraded to EW 4, I thought I'd use the programs publishing button.

However, it over wrote my php scripts located on the server for photo galleries and calendars.  So I had to restore from backup to recover the files.  Now I'm terrified to use the publish button on EW at all.  What does anyone suggest to prevent this.  I really don't want to have to buy another ftp program to upload my files on my new computer.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:12 PM

Answers

• That should happen only if you selected "sync" and clicked on the pop-up box that asks you if you want to remove files on the server not in your local site.

The easiest way to avoid having those folders  (I presume they are folders) removed is to have a copy of them on your local system. The second is to create a folder locally with the same name, right click in Folder List and select "Do Not Publish" which will tell EW to ignore them.

FWIW, you don't have to buy any FTP program but if you want to use an external one as I do when I have a large video or an application to upload get Filezilla. Its not only free but very good.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    • Proposed as answer by paladyn Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Friday, February 25, 2011 4:19 AM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:17 PM