none
Kinect for Object Tracking? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  

I am working on a MS project in biology that involves 3D tracking of insects in a small arena.  Up to this point, I’ve been using small hand recorders then, analyzing video frames in MatLab.  Today I noticed that MatLab, in its Computer Vision Toolbox, has built-in functions for Microsoft’s Kinect.  Of course, I am now wondering if Kinect has fine enough resolution to allow for the detection of something as small as a housefly.  The cost-effectiveness of Kinect is an attractive feature...

Any thoughts?  The ultimate goal is to track an insect, or insects, in a 3D arena and extract their 3D cartesian coordinates using a stereo vision system (or Kinect).  The bugs go in, and the 3D coordinates come out; you get the idea...  The 3D coordinates are then used for some behavioral analysis.  

I see there are tutorials online for using Kinect to recognize household objects and people, but nothing for considerably smaller objects, like bugs.  Also, what’s the highest frame rate the Kinect is capable of?  These little bugs can move pretty fast!

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!   

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Kinect is probably not well suited to this project. Like you suggest, both the resolution (even by modifying the Kinect to work at 10 cm distance) and the 30 Hz depth frame rate would be insufficient to reliably track small fast moving insects. 
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Also, unless some update has been made, Matlab functions for Kinect are for v1 and not compatible with v2.
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Kinect was designed for tracking people.  While I have heard of developers investigating pet tracking, insects are likely too small for successful tracking using the techniques employed in this effort.

As mentioned in other replies, the frame rate for Kinect's depth data is 30 fps which is more than likely too slow for tracking fast moving insects.

Thanks!

DK

Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:44 PM