Error: 17836, Severity: 20, State: 1 RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting below error on SQL Server 2005 instance.

2009-04-18 08:03:03.750 Logon        Error: 17836, Severity: 20, State: 1.
    2009-04-18 08:03:03.750 Logon        Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 10.26.32.96]
    Error: 17836, Severity: 20, State: 1.
    2009-04-25 08:03:07.090 Logon        Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 10.26.32.96]
    009-05-02 08:02:49.890 Logon        Error: 17836, Severity: 20, State: 1.
    2009-05-02 08:02:49.890 Logon        Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 10.26.32.96]
    Sivaprasad S http://sivasql.blogspot.com Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Answers

• Perform a nslookup of the CLIENT IP Address that is listed in the error message and find out what computer it is that is connecting.  Then you need to check that machine and determine what specifically is connecting to the SQL Server.  You might get more infromation from doing a SQL Trace for the Errors and Warnings Event Class and have the ClientProcessID column in the trace data.  When the error spikes, you might get the PID for the process that is connecting from that 10.26.32.96 machine, and then you can find that process in Task Manager on that machine by adding the PID to the data displayed (View -> Select Columns).

Jonathan Kehayias
    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jonathan_kehayias/
    http://www.sqlclr.net/
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• Perform a nslookup of the CLIENT IP Address that is listed in the error message and find out what computer it is that is connecting.  Then you need to check that machine and determine what specifically is connecting to the SQL Server.  You might get more infromation from doing a SQL Trace for the Errors and Warnings Event Class and have the ClientProcessID column in the trace data.  When the error spikes, you might get the PID for the process that is connecting from that 10.26.32.96 machine, and then you can find that process in Task Manager on that machine by adding the PID to the data displayed (View -> Select Columns).

Jonathan Kehayias
    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jonathan_kehayias/
    http://www.sqlclr.net/
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Jonathan,

That's nice answer. It helped me today.

Regards
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I am having same error in error log after migrating database from other SQL 2005 server to new SQL 2005 server. Issue we are facing is one of the user tries to our new server instance and they are not able to connect, and in sql error log I see above error. I know how they are connecting to DB server but from your above answer i am not clear how it will help us to solve the error by looking in the task manager.

User is getting following error:

Error creating database connection to: jdbc:__server://servername:portnumber;databaseName=dbname
    java.sql.SQLException: [SoftwareAG][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Error establishing socket. Unknown host: hostname        at com.wm.dd.jdbc.sqlserverbase.BaseExceptions.createSQLException(Unknown Source)
            at

Thanks a lot in advance for your time.

J_BABARIA
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi Jonathan.

I've just got this alarm in one of my SQL 2012 instances and after some investigation, I figure out that the machine that is trying to connect to my SQL is a known application machine. So the connection shoundn't be closed/refused/etc.

I didn't understand what triggered this warning and, most importat, how to workaround it in order to not get it anymore.

Could you please give any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo Moraes

Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:51 PM
  • Message 17836 = "Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library.%.*ls"

If this is coming from a well-known application machine, I would suspect that there is some network problem which distorts or cuts the network messages.

Friday, November 4, 2016 5:37 AM
  • For those finding this thread from a Google search, one other possibility is that your InfoSec team is running a vulnerability scanning tool that is intentionally sending bad packets to see if they can connect.   My servers all get hit every three weeks by our Security team so we get 17836 along with 18456 for a username that cannot exist in our AD.

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

• Proposed as answer by Xander587 Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:50 PM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 1:25 PM