SharePoint Workflow Error - caused by Nintex?! RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Custom List running a simple SharePoint workflow (set a field value), however it seems like an old copy of Nintex (which was uninstalled) is somehow affecting the workflow:

08/29/2012 15:01:16.10 	w3wp.exe (0x03D4)                       	0x0248	Windows SharePoint Services   	Workflow Infrastructure       	72fs	Unexpected	RunWorkflow: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Could not load file or assembly 'Nintex.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=913f6bae0ca5ae12' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.SubCompiler.DoCompile(WorkflowCompilerParameters parameters, String xomlSource, String assemblyName, CompilationPacket& packet, DirectoryInfo& tempDir)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.DoCompileSameAppDomain(WorkflowCompilerParameters parameters, String xomlSource, String assemblyName, CompilationPacket& packet, DirectoryInfo& tempDir)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.CompileBytes(Byte[] xomlBytes, Byte[] rulesBytes, Boolean doTestCompilation, String as...	 
    08/29/2012 15:01:16.10*	w3wp.exe (0x03D4)                       	0x0248	Windows SharePoint Services   	Workflow Infrastructure       	72fs	Unexpected	...semblyName, SPWeb web)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.LoadXomlAssembly(String assmNameIn, SPWeb web)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.CreateInstance(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflow workflow)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow originalWorkflow, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPRunWorkflowOptions runOptions)	 
    08/29/2012 15:01:16.10 	w3wp.exe (0x03D4)                       	0x0248	Windows SharePoint Services   	Workflow Infrastructure       	98d7	Unexpected	Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Could not load file or assembly 'Nintex.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=913f6bae0ca5ae12' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.SubCompiler.DoCompile(WorkflowCompilerParameters parameters, String xomlSource, String assemblyName, CompilationPacket& packet, DirectoryInfo& tempDir)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.DoCompileSameAppDomain(WorkflowCompilerParameters parameters, String xomlSource, String assemblyName, CompilationPacket& packet, DirectoryInfo& tempDir)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.CompileBytes(Byte[] xomlBytes, Byte[] rulesBytes, Boolean doTestCompilation, String assemblyName, S...	 
    08/29/2012 15:01:16.10*	w3wp.exe (0x03D4)                       	0x0248	Windows SharePoint Services   	Workflow Infrastructure       	98d7	Unexpected	...PWeb web)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.LoadXomlAssembly(String assmNameIn, SPWeb web)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.CreateInstance(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflow workflow)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(Guid trackingId, SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow originalWorkflow, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPRunWorkflowOptions runOptions)	 

How is Nintex related to this workflow if it's a SharePoint workflow and how do we get rid of it?!

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:14 AM
  • Any luck Emir?

I might have to temporarily put the old DLL in the GAC and see if that helps... but this is a workaround. Preferably I'd like purge the Nintex dependency.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hello Peter,

From your screenshot, I don't see problem with worklfow. Please list what error you are experiencing with the workflow, and is this a SharePoint Designer workflow?

Regards,

Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Jing,

It causes the workflow to error. Yes it's a SharePoint Designer workflow.

I think it could be linked somehow via a Content Type - I've now found a related error when I try to create a new Site: 

"The content type name '$Resources:NWResource,_ContentType_MultiOutcomeTask_Name;' cannot contain: \  / : * ? " # % < > { } | ~ & , two consecutive periods (..), or special characters such as a tab."

If I try to delete the Content Type, I get this error:

The content type "$Resources:NWResource,_ContentType_MultiOutcomeTask_Name;" is part of an application feature.

How do I get rid of this Nintex stuff?!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Hello Peter,

You may try to look at application features  to see anything related to Nintex stuff, If you couldn't spot anything yourself, check if you have documentation about the Nintex stuff previously installed or contact Nintex for support.

Regards,

Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:05 PM
  • The issue here is that SharePoint has no way to delete an Orphaned Content Type. Unless you hack the database and set the IsFromFeature column from 1 to 0. Really, there should be a PowerShell command to do this.

I won't say whether or not I actually did this before I upgraded to SharePoint 2010.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:32 AM