in-app purchase question about LicenseInformation.ProductLicenses RRS feed

• Question

• If I have 2 different Windows 8 devices, use the same login to both, install the same free app on both, and then do an in-app purchase on one of the devices, will that in-app purchase be available on the other device? If so, does the normal CurrentApp.LicenseInformation.ProductLicenses handle that or do I need to do something special and check the receipt?

I've looked at the "Trial app and in-app purchase sample" sample and read everything I could on store receipts, etc and it just isn't making sense. The docs on how to test a receipt for signature validity don't help either.

When does LicenseInformation.ProductLicenses[] get updated? Docs say that a network connection is not need for CurrentApp.LicenseInformation so it doesn't seem like this would work to check for recent in-app purchases made on another device.

On http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj649137.aspx it says this:

"In some situations, you may need to verify that a user made an in-app purchase. For example, imagine a game that offers downloaded content. If the user who purchased the content wants to play the game on another PC, you need to verify that the user purchased the content."

But it is not clear if LicenseInformation.ProductLicenses[] already checks for in-app purchases or not. All the examples of in-app purchases show testing ProductLicenses[]. None of the examples show a combination of manually testing a valid receipt and using ProductLicenses[].

Monday, May 6, 2013 3:40 AM

All replies

• From my experience ProductLicenses will automatically know about purchases made on other devices from the same account.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Thanks Tim. I wish MS would be clear on the purpose of checking the receipt. Is it for extra fraud protection or is it to share in-app purchases across multiple devices? I've seen docs and articles that talk about both.

To get to the essence of my questions:

1) When does ProductLicenses[] get updated?

2) For #1, when does ProductLicenses[] get updated on 2nd device if in-app purchase was made on 1st device?

3) Is calling GetProductReceiptAsync() necessary to update ProductLicenses[]?

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:48 AM
  • BTW, I found this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/296bace5-ed1a-46ec-94f2-107e5c5a063d but the answer was not convincing at all since the sample out being referenced doesn't actually implement the scenario that I (or the original poster on that thread) was referring to.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 1:34 PM