none
VS2015 Class Designer - Cannot select items when working with C++ projects

Question

• Hi, I'm trying out the "Class Designer" with VS Community 2015 (14.0 Update 3) on Windows 7 64bit SP1.

When working with my C++ project, I cannot select items except "Pointer" and "Comment" from "Toolbox - Class Designer".

Whereas I can select items when I work with a C# project.

In order to select "Class", "Enum", "Interface", and more while working with a C++ project, is there extra <g class="gr_ gr_320 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="320" id="320">stepso</g> take?

-Best Regards

• Edited by DeveloperCCC Monday, April 17, 2017 12:21 AM OS detail
    Friday, April 14, 2017 6:31 AM

Answers

• Hi DeveloperCCC,

I got the same issue as yours, the VC++ projects really have no these items in the Class Designer.

It really has some limitation for VC++ project.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385735.aspx 

For example, if you create a VC++ native app, I think you could get the class using the right click "View class diagram " in the solution explorer window like the following screen shot 1 even if the Toolbox also has no these items.

For the C# apps, I get the result normally:

So for this issue, the toolbox really has no some items as the C# apps. But if you want to get the class diagram, you could use the right click option and we have to make sure that the project really support this feature. I also test it using the VC++ uwp apps, it really doesn't support this feature.

For the toolbox issue, I help you submit a feedback here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/3132859/vs2015-class-designer-cannot-select-items-when-working-with-c-projects

You could vote and add your comment there, I think the product team would provide some information.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Thanks for your posting.

I created a C++ project, Blank App(Universal Windows), which the design mode is like this:

and the toolbox works fine.

Be honest, "toolbox-class designer" is the same as the snapshot I posted?

If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

As you could only select the "Pointer" control, does it mean other controls are missing?

If so, please try to Right click in the toolbox dialog -> Reset toolbox:

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hello, Fletch.

Before starting, I wish to post the pictures for detailed explanations.

However, I kept receiving "social.msdn.microsoft.com - Body text cannot contain image or links until we are able to verify your account".

"I created a C++ project, Blank App(Universal Windows), which the design mode is like this:"

Whereas I created (Visual C++ - Empty Project) project.

"Be honest, "toolbox-class designer" is the same as the snapshot I posted?"

It is not the same; I referred this link called "How to: Add Class Diagrams to Projects (Class Designer)".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hyxd8c85.aspx

The "Toolbox - Class Designer" items cannot be selected except "Pointer" and "Comment" when working with a C++ project.

Plus, I have upgraded VS 2015 to VS 2017.

The "Class Designer" was now shown in VS 2017 (Version 15.1) as well.

What seems to be the problem?

Also, I wish to add pictures and links. What should I do to make this possible?

-Best Regards

• Edited by DeveloperCCC Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:14 AM VS2017 test
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi friend, 

Is it like this: 

It's like what you described in my end. Not sure if this is normal, but I will research it tomorrow and give a precise answer.

I think you could share images through Onedrive and post the link here. 

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Hello, Fletch. Like your recent screenshot, I observed the same thing.

"It's like what you described in my end. Not sure if this is normal, but I will research it tomorrow and give a precise answer."

Thank you. Take your time for your research.

It is quite unfair that this works only on C# projects.

I hope C++ projects can convert the class diagram to C++ code on both VS15 and VS17.

Hope to hear good news.

-Best Regards

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Hi DeveloperCCC,

I got the same issue as yours, the VC++ projects really have no these items in the Class Designer.

It really has some limitation for VC++ project.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385735.aspx 

For example, if you create a VC++ native app, I think you could get the class using the right click "View class diagram " in the solution explorer window like the following screen shot 1 even if the Toolbox also has no these items.

For the C# apps, I get the result normally:

So for this issue, the toolbox really has no some items as the C# apps. But if you want to get the class diagram, you could use the right click option and we have to make sure that the project really support this feature. I also test it using the VC++ uwp apps, it really doesn't support this feature.

For the toolbox issue, I help you submit a feedback here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/3132859/vs2015-class-designer-cannot-select-items-when-working-with-c-projects

You could vote and add your comment there, I think the product team would provide some information.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hi, Jack. Thanks for creating the feedback!

I hope I can use that class diagram feature when working on the C++ project with VS2015 and VS2017 (community version) in the near future.

Maybe a structure diagram for C projects can be useful if the VS2017 team has any plans as well.

Thanks for your time. You too, Fletch.

-Best Regards

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:59 AM