Acer ACONIA Tablet W500 working great - not really a question as much as an FYI/comment

General discussion

• Over the last week, I've installed and played with Win8 on 3 machines - Inspiron DUO, Acer Iconia W500, and a "XRT 3G tablet I bought while I was working in China.

The install was relatively streightforward on all 3 though kudos to the Acer  in which, between the 32bit install disk an picking up some of the needed app/drivers from the Acer website, I have fully working - wifi, bluetooth, gyro sensor and all.  No BSOD to date and I'm using it pretty heavily. What a difference Win 8 makes on this tablet v Win7

Inspiron wasn't too difficult either though bluetooth has known issues (doesn't play nice with sleep or hibernate and causes crashes if BT is left on when sleeping/hibernating and you wake up the unit.

XRT actually loaded win8 without any problems. Had to registry hack to get 800X600 screen to work with metro apps (specifics found elsewhere on this forum) and it doesn't have a capacitive screen so not the smoothest or fastest experience but, to be honest, its certainly workable.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced tablet that works well with the current build of Win8, I can recommend the Iconia Tab

Travelguy
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:53 AM

All replies

• Wow! Great to hear!  I just got my hands on the Acer W500.  Love it.  I'm getting ready to ghost my Win7 image so I can install Win8 and test out the touch feature with it.

Do you find youself back in the desktop regularly or are you usually in the new UI?

Thanks,
    g-

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:09 PM
  • If it helps I have written a couple of blog entries on the W500 install etc.

How to install - http://www.sardsystems.info/?p=93  

Getting windows8 ready for day to day use - http://www.sardsystems.info/?p=100

The preview is surprisingly good and I have been able to use it without issue.

Ian

• Edited by Ian Ballard Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Some good info on your blog Ian, I was pleased to see SharePoint seems ok as its one of the things I want to try when I finally get my W500 to connect over vpn.

Windows 8 on the 'tab' is brilliant, I now use the tab rather than my ipad for sofa surfing etc.

I am having issues Reconnecting to my Bluetooth mouse but the Bluetooth keyboard is fine (both apple devices) and to be honest the apple bt mouse has issues connecting to everything bar the first mac it was ever paired with. That and getting vpn to work are the only problems ive hit so far.

The guy who asked about spending time on the desktop: personally I can happily stay in Metro for hours for sofa surfing (facebook, web, news sites etc) but as soon as i want to do some work (play really) i need Desktop for visual studio. I guess as Metro apps start becoming available you could spend more of your day in metro. I've not installed anything else on my tab yet as i bought it purely for trying metro development and I'd be cautious about installing Win8 as your main OS if you have applications you absolutely need on a day to day basis as this is after all a preview not even a beta. If you've taken a backup of your main OS or this is just a secondary machine... do it, go for Win8, you'll love it.

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:24 PM