none
Couldnt install .Net 3 on Vista Ultimate. Please advise. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Experts,

I have a fresh Vista Ultimate which is installed with:-

1.) .Net Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Developer

2.) .Net Compact Framework 2.0

I was trying to install .net 3.0 redist package which I downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en , it prompts me the error that I need Window XP SP 2 in order to install it.

I have run through the guide on the internet and noticed the following statements:-

Software Requirements

To install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0, one of the following operating systems must be installed on the target computer:

• Microsoft Windows XP Home or Microsoft Windows XP Professional, both with Service Pack 2 or later.
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family with Service Pack 1 or later.

For Microsoft Windows Vista (not including the IA64 platform) and Microsoft Windows Server code-named "Longhorn" IA64 Edition, .NET Framework 3.0 is a feature of the operating system.

Does this mean I do not need to install 3.0 ? and go straight to 3.5? and it will not appear in the list of Programs and Features?

Regards,
    Chris

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:47 AM

Answers

• That is right. .Net 3.0 is a part of the OS on Vista +. You can enable/disable it from "Turn Windows Feature On/Off" in Control Panel.

Also, as far as installing 3.5 is concerned, the installer for the same installs (enables in case of Vista+) 3.0 on a m/c which does not already have it.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:51 AM

All replies

• That is right. .Net 3.0 is a part of the OS on Vista +. You can enable/disable it from "Turn Windows Feature On/Off" in Control Panel.

Also, as far as installing 3.5 is concerned, the installer for the same installs (enables in case of Vista+) 3.0 on a m/c which does not already have it.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Thanks a million!
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:37 AM