none
Unable to add items to TabContact in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This should be reasonably simple.. I'm starting out with the official sample (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692172(office.14).aspx), which works just fine. I then tried adding a new group to an existing tab. So, I opened Explorer.xml from that very project and added 

<tab idMso="TabMail">
            <group id="group1" label="Hazaa!">
              <box id="box1" />
            </group>
          </tab>

immediately after <tabs>

And, it works as expected. 

As I need a group in the contact editor instead, I replace TabMail with TabContact. The plugin still loads, but there's no group when I open a contact in its separate window. I then tried TabContacts instead, and Hazaa!, there again. But, getting it to show up in a separate mail window (double click on a mail in the inbox), is a nogo. So, how do I get my stuff to those separate windows?

Cheers

Stephan

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:26 PM

Answers

• You wouldn't have an example handy? 

@edit: never mind, that tip was all I needed. But for those coming after me facing the same unsatisfactory documentation here's how to do it:

In RibbonXAddin.cs, locate GetCustomUI, and in the switch(ribbonID), add one for case "Microsoft.Outlook.Contact". It should refer to another xml file containing your ribbonui for the contact (use ReadMail.xml as template). Then you can refer to TabContact just fine.

• Edited by Stephan Steiner Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:04 PM found the solution
    • Marked as answer by Stephan Steiner Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are modifying Explorer ribbon (Explorer.xml). You need Inspector.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

Dmitry is right, it looks like you are editing the ribbon xml for Explorers, not inspectors.

Anyway, you may find the Customizing the Ribbon in Outlook 2007 article helpful. Also please take a look at the VSTO - How to Customize Outlook's User Interface (Visual Studio 2012) sample add-in (C# and VB.NET).

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:44 PM
  • You wouldn't have an example handy? 

@edit: never mind, that tip was all I needed. But for those coming after me facing the same unsatisfactory documentation here's how to do it:

In RibbonXAddin.cs, locate GetCustomUI, and in the switch(ribbonID), add one for case "Microsoft.Outlook.Contact". It should refer to another xml file containing your ribbonui for the contact (use ReadMail.xml as template). Then you can refer to TabContact just fine.

• Edited by Stephan Steiner Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:04 PM found the solution
    • Marked as answer by Stephan Steiner Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:45 PM