none
ASP.NET web application referencing a WCF Windows Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a WCF Service where I have exposed some operations and I have hosted this as Windows Service on my target server. I also have a Web application client in ASP.NET which references the above Windows Service and calls those operations at run time. 

The Windows Service installed fine and runs fine on the target machine, however when I run the client web application, it is unable to reference the assembly from Windows Service. I get the below error:

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'XXXXXGIMMIServices' does not exist in the namespace 'XXXXXPaymentPOC' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I am not understanding what needs to be fixed here. Any changes to the Web.Config file for the client app? Or changes to the App.Config in the Windows Service?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

SR

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Sowjanya R,

Based on your description, I know that you have hosted your WCF Service as a Windows Service on your target server, if it is a http service, please try to enter the service address in your browser to see if it works.
    >>I also have a Web application client in ASP.NET which references the above Windows Service and calls those operations at run time. 
    Do you consume your WCF Service by using the "Add Services Reference"? If so, please make sure that the Windows Service is running when you use the "Add Services Reference". Besides, please also try to delete the reference and add it again to see if it works.
    It will be better if you can try to post a simple reproduce project or your config file in here.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:48 AM
  • Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'XXXXXGIMMIServices' does not exist in the namespace 'XXXXXPaymentPOC' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

So what are the namespaces and what code is in them?

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:45 PM