none
What is a good way to show a serious of messages while a loop is running? RRS feed

• Question

• What is a good way to show a serious of messages while a loop is running?

I have a loop that takes 3 or 4 minutes to run.  I would like to have the user see a message telling him that this will take that amount of time.  Then when the loop is 1/3 of the way through, I would like the message to change.  And then again when 80% done another message.  Then the loop is completed I want the message to disappear.

I just don't know what I should use to display the message.  A Message Box requires the user to do something.  I just want to display the message and change the message and finally delete it.  Is there something other than a message box I should use?  Or if it is a message box, how do I get around the problem of a user response being required.

Lewis D. Eigen

Sunday, May 13, 2018 12:08 AM

Answers

• As previously discussed, you can put messages on the Status Bar. The only problem with that is it's not all that obvious, so the user may not read the message. Other than that, you could employ a userform, which has also been discussed in one of your other threads.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by LDEigen Sunday, May 13, 2018 6:12 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2018 7:06 AM

All replies

• As previously discussed, you can put messages on the Status Bar. The only problem with that is it's not all that obvious, so the user may not read the message. Other than that, you could employ a userform, which has also been discussed in one of your other threads.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by LDEigen Sunday, May 13, 2018 6:12 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Thanks,  The progress bar works well but I have a few subs where I  need the screen so that the user can see certain things.  These macros of are for some administrative routines for a research project we are doing and it is only for the use of our staff.  So they will know to look for it.

Thanks

Lewis D. Eigen

Sunday, May 13, 2018 6:16 PM