SD Card problem with my Nokia Lumia 1320. Unable to Use it PROPERLY RRS feed

• Question

• There is a problem of SD Card recognition in my 8.1 preview OS enabled Lumia 1320. I have hard resetted my phone for around 4-5 times and i need to soft reset it everyday. It hangs a lot. The major problem I am facing is that My phone is able to see the sd card but all my content in it is not visible. When I go to Storage sense it shows me the option of SD card and it tells me that my SD card is 8 GB free. But all the stuffs are shown in others(in storage sense). The "others" section of my SD card contains around 5GB of data that is my Music, videos, Images etc. All these files are visible in File explorer (Aerize Explorer) and i can even play and open these files from there. But i am not able to see them in Music hub, Images, Videos etc. I tried to install the apps in my SD card. But it doesnt works. Any music, video, images, that i have downloaded are not visible in Music hub, Images, Videos. I tried to move the apps in SD card it didnt worked. Earlier It synchronised some of the songs (i.e., around 150 songs out of 1200) those are always visible. Rest are not. I use SanDisk SDCard. Which worked Flawless in my previous Nokia Lumia 520. But not working in Lumia 1320. I have tried formatting my card several times. same problem again. Please respond as fast as you can.

Friday, May 16, 2014 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hello sankhlarajat:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding the issue you are having with your SD card in the Windows phone running the developer preview.  The fact that the content is being put into the other storage section of the card indicates these files are not able to be recognized.  This likely indicates issues with the files or an issue with the card being read.

I have two suggestions/tests to see if you can get some of this music recognized by the correct apps.

• First, copy all the content to your computer.  Once you have done this, please clear the content from your SD card by formatting it in the phone.  Once the card is clear, reboot your phone and connect the phone to your computer.  In file explorer, drag some of the music files to the Music folder of the SD card on the phone.  Once you do this, disconnect and see if this music is moved to other.  Reconnect the phone and move some of your pictures over to the pictures folder on the SD card.
    • If no progress is made doing the above the next thing to do is format the card again and then remove the card.  Copy some of the files that have been shifting to other storage directly to the phone storage.  Once you do this, please disconnect and verify if the content is found in the appropriate apps.

If anyone else is having a similar experience, please post here with the following details.  Do not forget to vote for this thread.

• Make and model of phone.
    • Current OS version.
    • Current firmware revision.
    • Country you are located in.
    • Make and model of SD card.
    • Description of your experience.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:48 AM
  • Sir my model number is Nokia Lumia 1320

Current OS version-8.10.12382.878

firmware revision- 3056.40200.1407.0002

Country- living in India but my phone's region is US

SDCard make- Sandisk 16GB Class 4 MicroSD HC 

Experience- My sd card worked well in my Nokia Lumia 520 which is also a developer based 8.1 OS running phone. I upgraded my new nokia Lumia 1320 and put that SD card in it. My Lumia showed only few things. It tells me that i have an SD card. It even tells me how much space is covered by what(music, video, image) But while I check the Storage sense, what I see is a section named as Others. This section is of 5 GB which contains all my videos, images, etc. These files (which storage sense terms as others) are clearly visible from Aerize Explorer. I can even play these videos from there. but these are not visible in my music hub, videos hub, images gallery etc. I formatted the memory card by phone. I transferred all new files to my formatted memory card. but it again didnt helped. All the apps works superb when it is in my phone memory, but as soon as i transfer any application in my SDcard , the whole of phone starts hanging. I hart resetted it, soft resets it almost everyday, formatted the card, form the computer, from the phone, several times, but no result was found. it was the very same thing that i found again. Kindly assist me. the Tests/ Suggestions you gave me were of no use for me.

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Hello sankhlarajat:

Thank you for the follow up.  At this point the only other thing I can propose is to try another SD card.  I have heard some reports that cards below class 6 have some issues.  If you can get your hands on another SD card please let us know if you have the same experience. 

If you have the same experience with these other cards, it may come down to this being related to the phone's firmware.  The 8.1 preview did not come along with any firmware updates.  The official release will come along with important firmware updates that could resolve compatibility issues like this.  I have heard that Nokia has a software suite that allows one to reinstall the firmware currently on the phone.  This might be something to look into in the meantime. 

If any others are having the same issue, please vote for this thread and provide your feedback in this thread.

Mark W.

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:53 AM
  • I too am having SD Card issues with the 1320 - I have tried 16 GB Class 6, 32 GB Class 10, and a 16 GB Class 10.

Mine is an Australian version running the 8.1 Developer Preview.

I format the cards and insert into the phone from new. They work fine for a while and then apps begin to hang forcing me to do a soft reset (volume down and power button restart). Eventually I get an error saying that issues have been detected with the SD Card and that it needs to be scanned. The class 10 sd card scanning did not complete and the class 6 scan last night took 2 hours but the phone has been OK today.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:34 PM
  • as per you suggestion I tried another SD Card of class 10 16GB. but the same problem is occuring again and again.
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:35 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue as this.

Powering down the phone, even for a few seconds, can cause my SD card to be not recognized any longer and requires a format. I have been able to get RAW files off of it using recovery software, but it keeps on happening.

I have a post on it here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e87df9c2-c2cf-4e34-a3b4-efd74e62ee54/full-power-drain-of-1520-asks-to-format-microsd?forum=winphoneosissues

My phone is a Lumia 1520, now on:

OS version: 8.10.12382.878

Firmware rev: 1028.3562.1407.1001

In the United States

Card is a class 10 Lexar 32GB

Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:41 AM
  • I bought new Nokia Lumia 1320 mobile, and I have inserted new 8GB memory card which has audio,video contacts etc but I am not seeing any contents in memory card even SD card option also disabled.
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Guys,

I'm facing a problem in replacing my 64 GB scandisk ultra with 32GB scandisk Ultra.

1. Copied everything from 64GB card to 32 GB Card
    2. Inserted 32GB card in the phone

I kept my phone in switched off mode while I was doing above activity.

After doing this all my apps greyed out and when I tried accessing them got error “Either card is inaccessible or it is still loading”

I’m thinking of trying below, let me know if anyone has done this before.

1. Backup everything on onedrive
    2. Reset my phone.
    3. While reconfiguring it back choose the option of restoring from onedrive.

Let me know if this will work.

Thanks in Advance.

Rohit

Thanks, Rohit ~ All glory comes from daring to begin. ~ "If you find my answer helpful, please mark it as Answer."

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Guys,

I'm facing a problem in replacing my 64 GB scandisk ultra with 32GB scandisk Ultra.

1. Copied everything from 64GB card to 32 GB Card
    2. Inserted 32GB card in the phone

I kept my phone in switched off mode while I was doing above activity.

After doing this all my apps greyed out and when I tried accessing them got error “Either card is inaccessible or it is still loading”

I’m thinking of trying below, let me know if anyone has done this before.

1. Backup everything on onedrive
    2. Reset my phone.
    3. While reconfiguring it back choose the option of restoring from onedrive.

Let me know if this will work.

Thanks in Advance.

Rohit

Thanks, Rohit ~ All glory comes from daring to begin. ~ "If you find my answer helpful, please mark it as Answer."

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:57 AM
  • my lumia 1320 too started giving an error for sd card. It says, do u want us to fix it, select yes or on no to backup ur data.

i selected yes but then phone coudnt fix errors on sd card. Looking at this thread i can surely say its a preview developer issue.

Darn! M all screwed up...

arn!
    • Edited by NitinNe Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:48 PM
    Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Dear all,

I have lumia 1520 and Adata 64gb sdxc card i can not write anymore to sd card 

I can not format sd card in phone ?...

I am using last windows 8.1 developer preview.

More details I will send later.

Thanks

Jan

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Hello to all facing probs with big SD cards.

Recently I decided to upgrade my Lumia 1320 storage with a 64gb sdxc card.

I bought a ADATA 64gb sdxc uhs-1 microsd card.

Firstly, reformatted it to exFAT ( it was already in exFAT, I did it just to be sure) on my PC.

Plugged it into phone, phone recognized it , asked if I want to save videos/apps etc to it.

Problem came out when I tried to copy a video file to it. It was 5 GB size, exFAT supports files bigger then 4GB, so it should work, but it did not, I thought " OK,lets copy a smaller video". Compressed it to 2 GB, it did not copy either. The copy dialogue almost comes to an end and then says "device stopped responding or disconnected". this happens when I try to copy any kind of file ( .zip .mp4 .mkv - doesnt matter) more then a few hundreds megabytes. 

So I unplugged the SD card, plugged it into PC and copied this 5GB movie to it without any problems. Plugged the SD back to phone and the movie did play OK. So this is not a corrups SD card- it works on PC.

Also, tried moving games ( big ones, like Asphalt and Dungeon Hunter) from phone memory to SD, could not do it, because the phone became unresponsive after a few mins, had to reset it by POWER+VOL_DOWN. Also, can not install big apps directly to SD card, it goes almost to the end and then says an error. 

Then I formatted the SD card to FAT ( yes, its stupid to have a 64gb SDXC in FAT, because file size is limited to 4 GB and its an old filesystem), put it into phone, tried copying a 3.8GB movie to it- IT WORKED. But installing/moving games to it still gives me either an error ( when I install directly to SD from marketplace and have less then 3.6GB storage in EMMC ) or being unresponsive to enything except reset ( when I try to move a game like GTA or Dungeon Hunter from phone memory to SD ). 

So two problems: 1) phone can not write to exFAT formatted card normally 

2) phone can not move/install big apps to SD card.

I do not have other SD cards to test the phone itself, but reading from SD works fine on any filesystem ( fat or exfat ). Writing to it is the problem. Also after a force reboot ( after phone becomes unresponsive) on every turn-on the phone says that SD is corrupted and asks to fix it. I press OK, it does some work, but doesnt fix it, because after a reboot it says same again. And yes I tried combinations like format card on phone, format on PC, reformat, clean, etc etc. It can not be the SD card. Somth wrong with the phone firmware, because I saw a few posts here and there with problem like me...

I am using a Nokia Lumia 1320

Core build ID 3056.40200.14.07.10443 

OS version 8.10.12397.895 ( WP 8.1 developer preview )

FW 3056.40200.1407.0002

SDcard ADATA 64GB UHS-1 class10 microSD

Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:21 PM