Blocking two people submitting a web based infopath form at the same time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Infopath 2007 form (with code) published to a sharepoint library. The form is only viewed via the browser (never the client).

It is possible that two people will open this form once submitted and both make changes to it at the same time. If this happens the current results occur:

1. Person 1 opens form
    2. Person 2 opens form
    3. Person 1 changes and submits form - submit occurs without issue
    4. Person 2 changes and submits form - error message appears of "An error occurred submitting this form to the Web Server". If i check the Sharepoint logs we see an Access Denied error message however when we open the form again person 2's changes have been applied even though there was an error.

My question is how can we stop person 2 from submitting the form. There are a few related topics that talk about the form being locked if the second person opens it but this doesn't seem to happen with web forms (i am guessing it's a infopath client function).

As a solution I was thinking of retrieving the modified date when opening the form and then when it is submitted check this against the current modified date to see if it has changed. If it has block the save and warn the user.

All help appreciated.

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that you want to stop users from submitting a form at the same time. The solution you are talking can be achieved. You can add a data connection to retrieve data from the form library. Set current form’s Modified Date to a hidden text box control. When submit, you can add a rule on the submit button to query the form library again to get the new modified date. Then compare the two values to see whether the form has been modified.

Or you can set the library settings to ‘Require documents to be checked out before editing’. This won’t block users form opening the form. But when he tries to submit the form, there will be an warning that the form cannot be edited since it is not checked out. You can add a content editor web part on the allitem.aspx page to notify users that they need to check out the file first before editing.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:00 AM