Deploying a website in iis with port no 81 and accessing it from outside network RRS feed

• Question

• User-1860544811 posted

Hi all ,

I am going to host two websites in my IIS one is with the default port 80 and another with the port81. Now the problem is that I can access the website with port number 80 from outside my network but I am not able to access the website with port 81.Please guide me what are the steps I need to perform to access the website from outside my network.Please share some links.

Thanks 

Utpal Maity

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:57 PM

Answers

• User-760709272 posted

Something will be blocking that port, no doubt a firewall or similar on your network.  You'll have to contact your network admin to ask how to open that port up to the outside.  Using 81 is a bad idea though, you should use ports that are outside of the known port range of 1000 or so.  You should especially try and ovoid ports used by people pirating copyrighted material :)

Edit: you *are* adding the 81 to the uri, aren't you?

http://yoursite.com:81/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 4:04 PM

All replies

• User-760709272 posted

Something will be blocking that port, no doubt a firewall or similar on your network.  You'll have to contact your network admin to ask how to open that port up to the outside.  Using 81 is a bad idea though, you should use ports that are outside of the known port range of 1000 or so.  You should especially try and ovoid ports used by people pirating copyrighted material :)

Edit: you *are* adding the 81 to the uri, aren't you?

http://yoursite.com:81/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 4:04 PM
  • User-1860544811 posted

Yes I am adding 81 in my uri and if I want to do it of my own can you give some resources on that.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:27 AM
  • User-760709272 posted

You can't do it on your own I'm afraid, if you could simply disable parts of the firewall because you wanted to then the network security wouldn't be very effective.  If the port is blocked it has been for a reason, so you'll need to find out who is responsible for unblocking it.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:42 AM