Some questions about building.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone ,
    I have some questions about VS building process and will be pleasure if anybody helped me

1) What is the different between the .exe file in the Debug directory and Release Directory?
    2) If I added some images (or whatever) to a project resources , Are these resources attached to the .exe file ?
    3) How can I create a .msi file for my project? , note that i am using some external DLLs.
    4) What is the benfit of creating .msi file ? , and why I dont use directly the exe file?

this question not about building process but permit me to ask it here also
    5) I developed a C# probject using .Net Frame Work 2  , and sent the exe file to some friends (all using Windows XP and all also never installed .net frame work before), some of them could run my program...!! , how?

Thanks for your helping,
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:33 AM

Answers

•  bola shokry wrote:
    1) What is the different between the .exe file in the Debug directory and Release Directory?

Generally (although there are exceptions to this) the debug version will have debug symbols associated with it, while the release version will not. If you look at the bin\debug folder, you should also see a file called <your assembly name>.pdb, this contains a whole bunch of information that the debugger uses while you debug. Also the different builds may have different conditional compilation switches in them, which could make them radically different.

bola shokry wrote:

2) If I added some images (or whatever) to a project resources , Are these resources attached to the .exe file ?

If you set the Build Action of an image that is added as a file to the project to 'Embedded Resource' then yes, they will be embedded within the exe, as will any images added to the resources section.

bola shokry wrote:

3) How can I create a .msi file for my project? , note that i am using some external DLLs.

Add a new "setup" type project to your solution. You can find the project template listed under Other Project Types - Setup and Deployment when you add a new project.

bola shokry wrote:

4) What is the benfit of creating .msi file ? , and why I dont use directly the exe file?

In one sentence or less, using Microsoft Windows Installer technology (msi) means you have a transactionally safe and fully replicable installation process. If you write the msi following all the rules then your application can be uninstalled leaving no traces on the client machine. It has a bunch of other benefits as well, but that is outside the scope of this forum.

bola shokry wrote:

5) I developed a C# probject using .Net Frame Work 2  , and sent the exe file to some friends (all using Windows XP and all also never installed .net frame work before), some of them could run my program...!! , how?

You will find that the framework is part of one of the service packs, although i can't say which one because as a developer i have never had to rely on that method to get the framework installed on my machine.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:47 AM

All replies

•  bola shokry wrote:

Generally (although there are exceptions to this) the debug version will have debug symbols associated with it, while the release version will not. If you look at the bin\debug folder, you should also see a file called <your assembly name>.pdb, this contains a whole bunch of information that the debugger uses while you debug. Also the different builds may have different conditional compilation switches in them, which could make them radically different.

bola shokry wrote:

If you set the Build Action of an image that is added as a file to the project to 'Embedded Resource' then yes, they will be embedded within the exe, as will any images added to the resources section.

bola shokry wrote:

Add a new "setup" type project to your solution. You can find the project template listed under Other Project Types - Setup and Deployment when you add a new project.

bola shokry wrote:

In one sentence or less, using Microsoft Windows Installer technology (msi) means you have a transactionally safe and fully replicable installation process. If you write the msi following all the rules then your application can be uninstalled leaving no traces on the client machine. It has a bunch of other benefits as well, but that is outside the scope of this forum.

bola shokry wrote:

You will find that the framework is part of one of the service packs, although i can't say which one because as a developer i have never had to rely on that method to get the framework installed on my machine.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:47 AM
  •  

Thanks much  sluggy  for your helping,

but i still have a last question

I found that the recources are added by default to the exe file , thats ok , but i did find how to change the build action for a recource file .

can you tell me how to do it?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:55 PM
  •  bola shokry wrote:

but i did find how to change the build action for a recource file .

can you tell me how to do it?

Just right click on the added image file, select 'Properties', in the properties you will see one called 'Build Action', it has a dropdown, and one of the options in there is 'Embedded Resource'.

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:39 AM
  •  

I am using VS 2005 , there is no properties for the resource file.

but thanks anyway

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:48 AM