Steps to convert WMF to XAML (MS word 2007 required) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Okay, I figured out how to get WMF clipart into blend as paths so you can manipulate there, but since Design does not seem to have a XAML import, I cannot get it into ED2.

- Open MS Word 2007 (may work on earlier versions if they support XPS format).
    - Go to clipart gallery and insert wmf or just open the WMF from disk if you got it elsewhere
    - Insert the clipart as the only item on the page
    - Save the document using the XPS format (mydoc.xps)

XPS format is a XAML based format but the XPS file is actually a ZIP format file that contains multiple xml files.

- So rename the file to mydoc.zip
    - Now open in a unzip program, you will see several files and folders (_rels, docProps, Documents, Resources):
    - Go into the Documents folder, then the "1" folder,  then the "Pages" folder.
    - Here you should see 1.fpage which is a XAML text document
    - In my test what you copied to your blend XAML document was one of the inner Canvas elements. When pasting into Blend, you may just have to remove some of the outer wrapper Canvases to narrow down to just the vector image paths.

Hope this helps!

If you know a way to get wmf into expression design as vectors without using expensive software like Adobe Illustrator, please let me know!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:28 PM