Small Databases on a Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Having many small databases hosted on a server - is that a great idea? 

I mean, we have many different web applications. Now I'm wondering is it great idea accessing many smaller databases? In the long run is that a good idea? 

I am assigned a task, where I will be creatiing many different applications - and these applications do not relate with each other. So creating a different database for each application - is that a great idea? I can how ever use the same database but different tables within. 

what do you think ? 

Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:19 AM

Answers

• One small database per application do have the advantage, that you can easily move a database to an other server (e.g. to spread workload over several server) without the need to modify other applications.

Of course every database needs maintenance and the more you have, the more efforts are required; but I don't think this will be an issue for you.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:21 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• how many? 100, 200, 500?
    Number of databases increases managablity cost.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:43 AM
  • One small database per application do have the advantage, that you can easily move a database to an other server (e.g. to spread workload over several server) without the need to modify other applications.

Of course every database needs maintenance and the more you have, the more efforts are required; but I don't think this will be an issue for you.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:21 AM
    Answerer
  • It depends on the business model.

Can you share more information with us?

If you are a service bureau serving many customers, your business model may dictate one database per customer.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Sunday, October 7, 2012 4:40 PM
  • 1) As Olaf mention, Its good to have diffrent databases for diffrent applciaiton. It help in moving database to other servers, backup or restore database, recovery of database etc.

2) I do not think you are planing to break the limit of no. of database sql server allowd but as many as databases you have more the work you have. Each database increase a task of security, performance optimization, index manatainace etc.

3) You should consider the future growth, application users in future & load of database & server as well before using on server for many applications.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

Answer is, it depends :-
    1) Size of database
    2) Transaction Volume of Database
    3) How frequently your database are being refreshed with maintenance plan
    4) Number of users connecting.

I guess it really comes down to users & transactions as well as maintenance overheads. One large Database base means monitoring & maintaining backup & recovery of 1 DB. However, you should try to have a "purpose" for each database - for example, the "customers" database should have customer information only, the "orders" database should have information about orders placed by customers. Too many small databases can add to maintenance overhead of having to manage that many back up & recover plans etc. Try to achieve the happy medium. 

Sanil Mhatre | Database Developer | MCTS | If you find my reply useful in any way, please vote it as helpful. If it has helped answer your question, please mark it as Answer. http://sqlwithsanil.com

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:53 PM