none
Register a .net excel com ad-inn RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Can someone please let me know which is the proper way of registering an Excel COM add-inn  on Microsoft XP developed with Visual Studio 2010? The project was defined as a Visual Basic/Office/2007/Excel 2007 Add-In.

The goal is to avoid  running the Setup program produced when the project is published. I have <project_name>.dll and <project_name>.xml files. The documentation i found about this issue is not precise and also sometimes contraditory. Some documentation mentions using Regsvr32.exe other mention Regasm.exe... 

Thanks a lot in advance for any kind help.

Octavio

Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:38 AM

Answers

• i assume that by Microsoft XP you mean windows XP. 

If you want to avoid running your setup.exe app, you have some options which depend on how much you want to avoid anything from user interaction perspective. I will describe the most 'no-hands' approach.

1. somehow make sure that on windows xp machine vsto runtime 2010 is installed (windows update, sccm, whatever)

2. place add-in content (dlls, config files, etc.) in some folder on that machine

3. add registry entries for that add-in, exactly the same that would be created by setup.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• i assume that by Microsoft XP you mean windows XP. 

If you want to avoid running your setup.exe app, you have some options which depend on how much you want to avoid anything from user interaction perspective. I will describe the most 'no-hands' approach.

1. somehow make sure that on windows xp machine vsto runtime 2010 is installed (windows update, sccm, whatever)

2. place add-in content (dlls, config files, etc.) in some folder on that machine

3. add registry entries for that add-in, exactly the same that would be created by setup.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Damian, thank you for answering.

For points 1 and 2, ok.

About point 3, and excuse me if this is a dumb question (i am not an expert on the issue), how can i know which registry entries setup creates? Probably by running setup on a machine and comparing the registry file, no?

Thank you for your help.

Octavio

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:57 PM