Silverlight 5 and HW Acceleration support on Windows 8+ and Macs for DRM protected content RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Sorry, but anyone knows whether HW acceleration is supported on Windows 8+ for Silverlight 5? I mean, I have create the application that utilizes Smooth Streaming Media Element and custom ISmoothStreamingCache plugin to load Smooth Streaming assets from HDD instead of the networks server and on some machines I experience the issue when video and audio are out of sync. The application runs out of browser BTW.

First thought was to enable HW acceleration. I enabled it in OutOfBrowserSettings and I also enabled it on Playback tab in Silverlight context menu. I then set EnableFrameRateCounter and EnableCacheVisualization to true to see HW accelerated surfaces and started the app on my Windows 10. I can see the counter, it shows something like "000 001 003045 001 000" and I don't see any items being painted red over them which I would see if EnableCacheVisualization was working. FPS is getting up to 60 and higher when I play the video BTW.

I don't know whether this means that HW acceleration is not supported on my machine or something is wrong with my settings. I also noticed that IsDecodingOnGPU of my SmoothStreamingMediaElement is always false even if GPU acceleration is enabled all over the place and BitmapCache is set on the SmoothStreamingMediaElement itself.

I started digging further and on this forum I came across the thread where I read that DRM protected content actually can't utilize the HW acceleration because of security issues. Which means that software encoding is done when i play my DRM protected stream. In this case I simply can't do anything to make things better can I? The playback and out of sync issue will happen on different machines and will depend on how busy HDD, memory or CPU are at the moment.

Please, let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much.

• Edited by _Qch_ Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:39 PM

Answers

All replies