Trying to add linked server between Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate with SQL Server 2014 SP1, and decided to install Windows 10 Pro on a new PC (also with SQL Server 2014 SP1). Previously, when all PCs were on Windows 7, I could just use SSMS and use EXEC sp_addlinkedserver, and it worked fine. Now, when I try to link between the W7 and W10 PCs (either way, from W7 PC to W10 or vice versa), I get "invalid authorization" and "authentication failed" errors. I Googled this and couldn't find any info on this. How do I get this to work?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:43 PM

Answers

• Your post is somewhat unclear. I would expect "EXEC sp_addlinkedsever" to complete without problem, since it only updates the system catalog.

On the other hand, getting the linked server to work may be more difficult. It sounds like this is in a home environment, in which case I would expect that you have a domain. In a workgroup, Windows authentication only works if username and password is the same on both machines. So if you set up Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, this is not going to work out. In this case you would need to set up login mapping with sp_addlinkedsrvlogin.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:27 PM