missing exe file output from vs 2012 express solved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. A couple of weeks ago I was having problems with vs 2012 express not creating an exe file from projects. After trying everything I just gave up. However I decided to try installing vs 2013 express - same problem, no exe file created. I then decided to have one last try and installed vs 2012 express again but, to save time, I didn't uninstall vs 2013 express so ending up with both on my machine. This time vs 2012 express worked. I have no idea why or how this cured the problem but it definitely works OK now. I may try uninstalling vs 2013 express later but for now thought I would leave it while vs 2012 express is working. As I said I have no idea how it worked but thought I would let everyone know.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hi oldbill65,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I may try uninstalling vs 2013 express later but for now thought I would leave it while vs 2012 express is working. As I said I have no idea how it worked but thought I would let everyone know.

Since it works well now, I will close this case.

But if you really want to know the real reason for this issue, I’m afraid that you need to provide us more detailed message about this issue.

As you said that it has this issue in VS2013 now, what real VS2013 express version are you using, for windows desktop or other versions? Which kind of app did you create? Please share us the detailed steps about it. As you said that it doesn’t create the .exe file for your project, if so, could you run your app? If you clean and rebuild your project, what result do you get in your output/error list window?

I could provide some possible reasons:

1. It has the .exe, but it is not the correct path in your project folder, for example, if you run your app in release mode, it would be in the folder Bin\Release path, so you couldn’t get it in Bin\debug folder.
    2. You set different output path for your project in project properties.
    3. Maybe it is your VS IDE issue, if you run the same app in other VS machine, how about the result? Maybe you could repair your VS, please also install the VS update package for it. For example, VS2013 update 2.

Anyway, since it worked well in your VS2012 now, I will close this case, but if you still want to know the real reason for your VS2013, maybe you could post a new case in our forum if you meet this issue again. You would get better support in our forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:53 AM